Newbie help. How to modify 3d objects?

Hi guys, im new to the whole scene so i hope i dont sound like a complete idiot here.

I have been playing TOW for a few weeks now and i'm loving it.

I do however enjoy creating/modifying 3d objects in programs like 3dsmax and blender, and was wondering if this is possible with TOW??

I've been using the map editor to create my own maps, but would also like to edit/replace some of the buildings and vehicles in the game.

Is this possible, and if so, how can i do it??

Thansk guys,

PAt.

Hi questdvd,

You'll need to use 3DSmax to create or modify 3D models in order to be able to import them back in the game. You'll also need Dr.Jones utility called MshConverter v1.17, as well as an utility called SFSextractor 0.3.

The 3D models in ToW are in *.msh format. This format can be converted to a *.3DS file readable in 3DSmax with MshConverter. But first, you've to extract the objects files from the game (they're stored in *.sfs files) with SFSextractor.

The objects files in the game are found in the 3dobj folder.

With MshConverter, either you extract the whole hierarchy (several *.msh at the same time) by exporting the hier.him file of the unit to *.3DS, or you export just part of the model with loading only one *.msh and exporting it to Max.

MshConverter allow you to see how the model is organized in the game. You'll need to create your new object following the same procedure.

When all the LODs, collision objects, hooks etc... are done in 3DSmax, you export your *.max file (carefull to keep the same exact hierarchy as the *.msh file) to *.3DS

you can then load this 3DS file in MshConverter, and you'll need to rename the objects so that the names are exactly the same as the naming convention in the game. You will also need to assign view distances to the LODs.

Once you new file is set exactly like one in the game, you can export from MshConverter to hier.him

Once the 3D model is imported in a format readable by the game, you need to create all the configuration files for your new object, following the examples provided by others unit already in game.

This is basically how to do it. It is not so easy to do, as it involves a lot of trial and error to set a file properly. There are a few tricky parts with the import/export with MshConverter.

You'll definitely need to check this link to learn the basics of using MshConverter:

http://allaircraftarcade.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7473

All the needed facts to succeed are to be found in the above link.

That being said, I'm still unable to make working static objects like buildings into the game.

This is not much help, I know. I might do a tutorial one of theses days, but don't expect to much, as it is taking a lot of my time, and I would prefer to spend more time implementing my objects in game than doing tutorials. Besides, it doesn't seems like there are that many peoples willing to create new units for ToW.

If you have problems, remember that everything you need to succeed is to be found at the link I provided above. Peoples there might also be able to help you, if you have questions. Don't hesitate to ask me if you need help. If I can help, I will.

Good luck with yours projects

-Knokke