problem getting CMBO to run on Vista

Hi all,

Just built a new comp with Vista 64 and Palit Radeon 4870 and wanted to reload my favorite in the CM series- CMBO.

It loads and plays ok, but I have this one odd problem: any typed info on the play screen is blank (jpeg attached). I can't read the 'hotkeys' or the unit stats, etc. All the mission briefings work ok and the typed briefing appaear ok.

I've tried running in 'Admin' and in every OS 'config.' no luck. Anyone with a clue as to what's happening? Would be grateful...

Thanks...

post-588-141867621032_thumb.jpg

Got the exact same problem on my new machine. I'm thinking it's either a Direct X

compatibility or it's the new Radeon cards. I'll have to put it back on my old machine,

which is up to Direct X 10 now, to see if it still works on it (it used to).

I'm running XP SP3, Asus P5Q Pro, E8400 3G Wolfdale, Sapphire Radeon HD 3650.

That's interesting, Bernmeister. I thought it might be the Vista, but if you're running XP then that's not it. Also, I've been running dx10, but I also 'added' the new release which, as I understand it, is supposed to contain elements of 9.0c, and both are supposed to run ok together. Unfortunately there is no visual evidance that it 'installed' so....

I am able to run some old games so apparently the dx thing worked. However, I did have to load a library file, which MS left out of dx10 (d3drm.dll) before some of them would run right.

I did have some graphics corruption on some of them (not CMBO) but found that inserting a 'noCD crack' solved all those problems; so it's more likely the copy protection and not the Graphics card was the problem, I would think. I haven't tried that with CMBO, but I might. The thing about CMBO is that it seems to run perfectly except for this 'blank boxes' problem.

I was hoping that someone from Battlefront might know what's happening, but I doubt they even read this forum anymore.

Let me know how you make out. Maybe we can find a solution

Asus P5E3 Premium, Q9550 Yorkfield, 4G Corsair DDR3, Palit Radeon HD 4870, Vista64

ok, I put it back on my old PC, and it works again. But that PC is at Direct X 9.0c,

P4 2.4GHz Asus P4 8500, and a Sapphire 9550 AGP 256M

Check your DirectX version like this:

Click the "Start" button, select "Run" in the Start Menu, then type in "dxdiag". The DirectX version should be stated at the bottom line of the "System Information". If nothing happens, it probably means your system does not have DirectX .