Graphics cards

JAK

I'd suggest the MSI StarForce 815 GeForce2 Pro (8815) with 64MB of DDR ram. I just last week bought it from www.newegg.com for $209 with free shipping! It is slightly better than the GeForce2 GTS, but not quite as good as the Ultra. However, the Ultra is easily over $300, and from the stats I've seen I don't feel it is worth the money, especially since the GeForce3 is coming out soon. You can use the Nvidia reference drivers (Madmatt suggests using the latest "official" release, which is v6.5).

The GeForce2 GTS and MX cards are also good if you have less to spend, and you can also opt for only 32MB of RAM, which will last you ok for the next year. I'm guessing your cpu is 733MHz? If it's much slower than that, you'd probably not see a big performance difference with only a video card upgrade.

I've heard good things about the ATI Radeon cards, so you may want to read a review of them too. Just search the web for "radeon review".

BeWary