graphics cards

Hi me and my friend both seen the CMBB game and were gonner buy it. But i remember reading somewhere that the game does not support the lastest graphic cards and i think the lastest CPUs. Is this true?

Were using

ati radeon 9800 pro and geforce 4 ti420o 8x

with

amd athlon xp 3000+ 2.16ghz CPUs.

Will the game support our PCs?

If it doesnt are there any patches or fixes which will alllow the game to work on our machines (if wot i read above is true that is lol)

Thanks

You misread whatever it was that you're reading.

Your systems, generally speaking, should work fine. ATI cards/drivers don't support fog-tables under DirectX (the PC), so you won't see fog. There are some other problems too, but you can usually work around them (black screens, etc.). Sometimes the latest driver causes more problems than it purportedly fixes. The CM series really isn't 'on the radar' of most video card driver developers, so drivers can be released that work fine with other games, but may have problems with CM. BFC/BTS report the problems that the drivers have with CM to their developer contacts at each of the companies, but it can take months before a version comes out that might address some of the problems and often a new feature or speed improvement may break something else in the driver (this is a problem with the driver developers not fully supporting all API calls properly).

There's nothing wrong with the newer motherboards or CPUs with CM. Some people may have problems installing the game because the CD is pushing the 650Mb limit and some CD/DVD drives don't fully cooperate with reading that much data off of a manufactured CD.

ok my friend just told me DL the CMBO demo to have a look at it.

He said that there was no textures.

an example, the ground the trees etc were grey and he could not move his troops around.

is there a way he would be able to slave this?

[ August 01, 2003, 12:25 PM: Message edited by: DAVE the man ]

Your friend may want to downgrade his Catalyst driver install. Though I haven't heard of the 3.6's causing what he's seeing, possibly going back to an earlier version might help. He'll need to uninstall the current Catalysts completely (typically from the Add/Remove Programs control panel). At that point he can reboot and Windows XP should install the 'VGA Save' generic driver (which doesn't work with 3D apps). Then he can install whichever previous version of the Catalysts he would like (though I'm not sure which version is the first to support the Radeon 9800 Pro - he might be limited to 3.2 or newer).