eLicense is a no go

No it will not be a long tirade (tirade is not the point of the post).

I have been around the hobby since hmm forever :)

In that time, certain things have been for me either a hit or a miss.

In the board gaming years, mounted map meant a hit, paper map meant hmm maybe not.

It was just the way it was for me.

Since 2000 I have been into computer wargaming in varying amounts.

I have seen it all more or less where how games are made/published.

And this includes the means and methods used in protecting them.

I don't even need to care about some methods due to how utterly ineffectual they are. And in some cases I actually like the method used and it has no impact on my choice of buy or not buy.

I can't and will not be supporting anything using an eLicense. Sorry the method blows dead donkeys. eLicense equals no sale.

I have bought several games from Matrix Games in recent years. I have no trouble with their service Digital River, that they employ during the process of buying digital downloads. You get a file, it's an ordinary installer file, you can burn it wherever, and you can install it where ever however and as often as ever. And if tomorrow Matrix Games disappeared it wouldn't mean squat either to the installing of the game. You just need to have a serial.

Now we can argue over what works, and what doesn't but we all know, NOTHING prevents piracy. So all you really have in the end, is customers that either will or will not accept your chosen method.

I am not planning to chose your method.

This basically shuts the door for me on whether or not the game will be 'good' or not.

It's not relevant, I won't be getting it if it uses an eLicense.

And I suppose this will likely extend to the whole catalogue at Battlefront.

Do I suffer" not really, the market has more wargames than I have time to play.

Do you suffer? Hmm I don't think I am that important. That is for you to decide.

But this is going to remove me from any reason to discuss a game I am not getting I suppose. So I suppose I won't be involved in further pre game or post launch game discussions.

I can wish you success on the launch, but I can't support it with my wallet. Sorry.

Les, fair enough and while we can't please everyone at the same time no need to post your gripes here as this is really a dead issue in these forums.

Either way sounds like you won't be around anymore so take care and we'll just have to go forward without you.

Since this issue has been beaten to death and does little to contribute to discussions on the Pacific Theater I'm just going to go ahead and lock this one up.

Hubert