Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Problems with CMBO

Triaxe

I've got a problem running CMBO, that is when I try to start the game my computer crashes and automatically restarts itself.

CMBO had ran fine until I installed a new game Codename Panzers by CDV. I had trouble with running the game namely because of the starforce drivers and uninstalled CP and ran the starforce cleaner to remove those drivers.

After that when I tried to play CMBO I had the crash and restart problem. I tried multiple reinstalls of CMBO (I had the CDV version)and cleaned the registry but with the same results.

Thinking that maybe it was the CDV version that was giving me problems I ordered the Battlefront version but in the meantime I had decided to reformat.

Upon installing the Battlefront version (1.12)after reformatting I was still getting the crash and restart upon trying to start the game. Thinking maybe it was the new Nvidia driver (I had updated to the 66 series on my Geforce 5200) and possibly the new directx (I had updated to 9.0c) I decided to reformat again and try the 9.0 direct x and the 56 series driver for my nvidia card.

Now it's still doing the same thing when I try to start the game, crash and restart. Is there something I'm missing here about getting this game to run again on my system? This is one of my favorite games and I've run out of ideas so would appreciate any help. Running XP btw. Thanks

So you've completely re-formatted the hard drive and not just re-installed XP, is that correct ?

To get some more info on the problem you can checkout the logs in the Event Viewer (Control Panel > Administrative Tools control panel > Event Viewer). Look under the System or Application logs and see if you can find the event that may be tied to your reboot. You can also go to the Control Panel > System control panel > Advanced tab > StartUp and Recovery section > Settings button > System Failure section > uncheck the Automatically Restart selection. This will prevent Windows from just simply restarting once it encounters an error (usually a blue-screen error). Getting info from the blue-screen error may be a bit more helpful in tracking down the problem.

Generally the 56.xx or 6x.xx series of drivers along with DirectX 9.0c (or 'b', etc.) should have worked fine with CMBO and your FX5200 card. However some people have had problems with the 6x.xx series and I've usually recommended down-grading to the 56.xx series, which you've already done. Have you installed the chipset drivers for your motherboard (Intel, VIA, SiS, Ali, etc.) ? These usually come with some AGP drivers that could affect what you're seeing (since they're often developed for compatibility enhancement).

Do any of your other games have problems at the moment or is it only CMB0 ? Do you have any other CM titles installed right now and if so how are they performing ?

Thanks for the help. I tried to reformat one more time and through trial and error finally found out what the problem was. It turns out it was the newest updated Zone Alarm 5.5 that was causing the problem. As it turns out I had upgraded ZA right after the CP install and didn't even think about that being the problem. It was stopping CMBO and CMBB and a few other games from running for some reason.

So after beating my head against the wall for 4 days I'm finally back to normal after reinstalling a previous version of Zone Alarm. Thanks!