Low fps on a very powerful rig

Hi folks,

I finally installed CMSF on my new rig and was quite dissapointed with performance. Specs are as follows:

2.4 Quad core

2xEVGA GTX260 Super Cloak Edition in SLI; Nvidia 178.24 driver; No overclocking done, everything running at stock settings

150gb 10000 RPM Raptor HD

4 Gig DDR2 RAM

''22 inch screen running at 1680x1050

Vista Ultimate 32-bit

Rig is brand new with only CM, CoD4 and [non-working]Fallout 3 installed. Latest drivers for everything is well.

I maxed all the setting in CM and smaller scenarios ran very smoothy. However, i decided to fire up a more graphic intensive scenario, and RommeL's Battle of Grozny campaign was a natural choice (lots of damaged buildings, and about 20-30 vihicles plus infantry on screen). In the setup phase frame rate was at unplayable level, probably in the area of 10-12 while looking at a large group of vihicles, it improved to 20-25 when looking at smaller groups of objects.

Can any other high end PC users please share their experiences of running the game at maximum settings and high resolutions. Is what i am experiencing normal or there might be some tweaking i have to do with a card? Am i expecting too much out of hardware? I know that CM is a system hog, but two of Nvidia's latest cards with 2 gigs of VRAM combined is no joke either, so i am quite confused at the moment.

Any advise will be appriciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently some game developers are extreme leftist in terms of their political disposition so they decided to make their software to have equal performance independent of the hardware configuration.

I'm bewildered too. I'm thinking to buy anohter new GPU and make use of 2 GPU SLI configuration but this post made me realize it would probably be of dubious value to enhance CMSF performance.