What is AA and FSAA?

Im confused with all the talk about these two things on Graphics Cards. I cant keep up with all these tech words smile.gif

Oh yes, and please tell me how they work too with my games, so I know what im doing. Thank you.

[ April 17, 2003, 12:02 PM: Message edited by: Volker ]

AA = anti-aliasing

FSAA = full-screen anti-aliasing

Basically, it's a technology that removes the sharp edges of 3-D video graphics to improve image quality.

The main noticable benefit is the reduction of "jaggies" (the step-like appearance) on 3-D objects, especially where they curve. It also reduces the "shimmering" effect of some textures as well. For example, trees and other terrain graphics in CM when moving about the map.

[ April 17, 2003, 01:36 PM: Message edited by: sitzkrieg ]

Application controlled doesn't work in most cases. For CMBO or CMBB, you need to specify the level of AA manually.

The higher the number, the better the picture quality should be. However, there is a performance penalty as well.

So the higher you go, the better the picture quality but the slower the performance.

You should set whatever level gives you the best trade off between graphic quality and game performance.

If you machine can handle 4x, go for it. It should probably be OK for CM, especially if you have fairly powerful CPU (like a Pentium III 1Ghz or so).

Really 3-D intensive games like first-person shooters and flightsims would suffer the most when using FSAA. For those you might need to back off to a lower level or just forget about it if you find you get a really choppy display (ie, motion is not fluid).