Trees in CM Normandy

Since Normandy will feature a lot more wooded areas, will we see an improvement in tree modelling both visually and gameplay wise?

Visually. Some tree types look subpar in certain angles. especially the tall ones. Normandy maps will not look really good with rows of distorted trees. Trees like olive trees, low, bush types look ok, since they suffer the least from the angle distortion. Tree bases in CMx1 made forests look more "tidy" and not that chaotic despite the primitive patchy tiles. Also, some tree types dont behave well in environmental lighting and look flat and with no volume. LODS for trees are average and maybe my last complaint about graphics in CMSF. Close up they look quite ok but at a distance you dont get a whole, uniformed effect of a wooded area but sparse little tree LODS here and there. Shadows disappear with distance as well and the whole result is far from looking aestheticaly pleasing and realistic.

untitled.jpg

Gameplay. For me, there is a confusion with LOS/LOF and cover issues. Its more realistic to have every tree affect LOS/LOF but soldiers dont seem to notice that inside a wooded area, eg not taking advantage of every tree crown. If it was an FPS I would be prefectly ok with the true to life modelling but in an RTS which requires quick judgement its pure luck to get good cover inside a wooded area. LOS is a pain and there are times I almost miss the simplistic abstracted CMx1 system with the primitive wood tiles. I know it cant get better than 1:1 but I was thinking if we could get a sort of gameplay aid inside wooded areas or maybe a smarter defensive AI behind trees.

Then there is the performance hit. I played two TCP/IP games that featured heavily wooded areas and I had strangely huge lags, while all my games since 1.10 even with many units have gone mostly smoothly. I'm not 100% sure about that but I suspect that pathing and LOS/LOF calculations inside trees with many infantry units might cause the problem.

Then there is the performance hit. I played two TCP/IP games that featured heavily wooded areas and I had strangely huge lags, while all my games since 1.10 even with many units have gone mostly smoothly. I'm not 100% sure about that but I suspect that pathing and LOS/LOF calculations inside trees with many infantry units might cause the problem.

Are you still seeing this with 1.10? I remember large wooded maps used to be unplayable, but it seems like they've mostly fixed that.