Working with the Alpha channel - a moders nightmare

Yeah, but there is only the option to save as 32-bit RGBA or 32-bit RGBX, and the latter are displayed as black squares in CMSF. But you can try on your own, there's link for a package with a BMP and a TIF on page two, IIRC.

Hi Scipio, I had a look at this with a new "flames" texture and confirm that the greysacle alpha using white/greys/black works OK when saved as 32bit RGBA.See screenshot - I don't think it's so much the way you're saving as the softness of your alpha channel. This is a quick and dirty flame but the edges of the alpha are still 'soft' greys. Did you try with the blur on the alpha channel? Maybe you could post an in-game screenshot so we can see what's up? If I'm understanding correctly, the fact that it looks smooth edged in Gimp is coz it's being previewed against black background maybe?

flames.jpg