A Mac/ATI success story

After a couple months of playing the demo, I finally ordered and received CM a couple of days ago. In anticipation of the worthy event, I upgraded my creaking PowerCenter with an XLR8 Carrier Zif with a G3 clocked up to 400MHz, plus a new monitor and an ATI Rage Orion. No more fuzzy 5-year-old Apple Multiscan with snail-paced onboard video for me! I even upgraded to 0S8.1.

On installing the components and CM (everything came on the same day--whee!), I eagerly started it up and... 640x480, crappy on-board video. Despair! I wailed and gnashed my teeth. After browsing this forum and searching the Apple website, I finally realized the Rage Orion wouldn't work with my ancient QuickDraw 3D 1.5.1 extensions.

I downloaded a copy of Apple's OpenGL1.1.2 installer (URL: http://asu.info.apple.com/swupdates.nsf/artnum/n11545), which includes QD3D 1.6 and a set of ATI drivers that looked more current than the ones installed by Universal Installer 4.2, but less current than the drivers available at http://asu.info.apple.com/swupdates.nsf/artnum/n11680.

Installed the OpenGL package, rebooted--hallelujau! 1024 x 768, fog, transparency, smoke, explosions, the whole nine yards! Can I have an "amen"? Amen!

Excellent fun, and I'm already converting my friends. Great job, BTS! I'm looking forward to many hours of fun.

(Edited to fix bad URLs)

------------------

Feel the pain of outlaw cinema!

[This message has been edited by Agua Perdido (edited 09-15-2000).]