Problems on the large op....

I am having a lockup problem on the large staligrad operation. When I click on go after setup the computer thinking progress bar comes up and after about 1 minute it goes off and the game is locked. I can cntrl alt del to get the task stopped and get out of the game so it is not a hard lock. I have a p4 1.3, 384 megs of ram and a 64 meg nvidia geforce 3 Ti 200. Anyone?

Patience grasshopper.

The scenario is LARGE, and by large I mean totally huge.

For me, the "Computer thinking" part chugs through about 2/3rds of the way, then stops for about 3-5 minutes. Then poof it completes.

I have a P4 1.4ghz and 512 megs, so we are comparable.

Then, during the calculation of the turn, it takes

7-15 minutes!!!

do NOT try to ALT + tab, or CTL alt delete, or any other task switching trick, that just seems to slow it down. just let it be.

Oh yeah, and make sure you do NOT have "stick to scenario default" setup for the cimputer player, or you will be bummed.

[ September 26, 2002, 03:55 AM: Message edited by: 86smopuim ]

very Minor spoliers...

Originally posted by Markus Staudt:

Also, does it get faster after a time? Have you played much of this operation?

Faster after time. i suspect not. Probably slower

as the action heats up. I have only played 3 turns.

Originally posted by Markus Staudt:

And what did you mean about not sticking to scenario defaults and getting bummed.

When choosing sides, one of the four other choices are "Computer player setup" with choices

'stick to scenario default' or 'Free to place units'.

If set to 'scenario default' the Tac AI doesnt move any units during the setup phase. If free to place units, it will look for nice places for the guns, etc etc. It depends on how the scenario was designed for which setting you want.

If you stick to scenarion defualt In "To the volga" the units are all just kinda sitting in the back by the river. the bunkers

off to one side behind some buildings. This does not make for a challenging advance.