If you play at no bonus, are there extra events or units the AI gets that a human would not? For example, I saw an event where Norway was taken over after the AI took Denmark - as the Axis I never got that and I always had to invade the hard way. Is this because it would be very hard for the AI to properly coordinate that? That sounds fine - I rather like the idea - but I want to know for sure.

Of course Nu, against a human there are many scripts choreographed to make it more difficult and variable for war prosecution. These aren't included in a H vs H game, only in games against the AI, specific for one side or the other.

Come on...the AI can't think!

The AI scripts do account for different difficulty levels, and there are scripts where extra units are available at Intermediate and/or Expert levels that are not available at Normal level. Also some events apply for either side (including human vs human play) while some events are only for Axis or Allied AI. It's all pretty flexible. Additionally, the difficulty levels for AI adjust some game percentages, particlarly for plunder, where AI gets more and you get less on higher difficulty.

These handicaps can help balance a campaign somewhat but the generic AI still makes a lot of little mistakes, so giving it an experience bonus helps compensate. +1 or more is usually needed to give experienced players a challenge.