How do you fire the Bradley's coax?

Gents,

Like the title asks, I cannot fire the coax on my Bradleys and I want to know if any of you have found a reliable way to do so.

Oh, I'm aware of the "run the 25mm out of ammo and then the coax will fire" solution.

Thanks,

Ken

c3k:

To my knowledge, it is not possible to order the M3/M2's to exclusively employ their coaxial guns. The best you can do is issue a "Target Light" order and allow the AI to take over. In my experience, this is a rather mixed bag in which you will see a blend of 25mm and 7.62mm.

Personally, I wish BFC would have retained the previous CM1 area target dialogue - defaulting to the coax and offering options such as "Use Main Gun?" and "Use ATGM?"

Relatedly, there is the current issue of the M1 being neutered due to its lack of ability to conduct area fire with the 120mm gun. I really hope this is ironed out in version 1.1 as it certainly causes me to unrealistically change tactics when BLUFOR tanks are engaged.

I hope this helps

c3k:

Relatedly, there is the current issue of the M1 being neutered due to its lack of ability to conduct area fire with the 120mm gun. I really hope this is ironed out in version 1.1 as it certainly causes me to unrealistically change tactics when BLUFOR tanks are engaged.

I hope this helps

What is the issue with M1 120mm area fire? I wrote a work around in Oct.

Shoot-N-Scoot

The following will also help out since they have walls working properly. Just think of the wall as flat ground.

Breeching a wall w/ Cannon

Feel free to bump them if they helped you out.;)

2ymizo5.jpg

Hello Huntarr:

The issue with the M1 is different than those illustrated in your how-to's.

Currently, the M1 will not use the 120mm gun when directed as area fire toward a section of open terrain. This is important if the need exists to suppress unidentified units in locations other than inside a building or behind a wall. Want to lay some heavy ordinance on those unidentified infantry contacts in the tall grass? No-can-do with the current M1. Why?

Try this quick test:

• Place an unobserved M1 on a map, direct it to "Target" an open section of terrain. The crew will not employ the main gun.
  • If you "Target" a structure or an identified REDFOR unit there is no issue with firing the 120mm.

Try the same test with another AFV (T-72, M2, etc.) - they will use their main armaments prodigously. Outwardly, this may seem like a nitpick, but it certainly limits the ultimate usefulness of BLUFOR heavy armor.

Hmm, odd. In over a year of playing I never noticed that the main gun will no longer area fire on empty open terrain. I guess your right it is a nitpick. I have always used it on buildings apparently. It seems that the coax and .50 where more than enough on troops in the open. Sorry those tutorials didn't help your issue.

Huntarr:

Thanks for taking the time to confirm this.

In over a year of playing I never noticed...
I suppose this may reflect an individual's style of play. I use suppressing fire like it is going out of style, especially from my AFV's. As such, I noticed this flaw right away as it impacted what I consider to be realistic tactics.

I guess your right it is a nitpick.
Only on the face of things as it does effect gameplay. This really should be addressed as it is clearly not intended given the contrary behavior of all other AFV's in the game.

In a recent scenario, I had two mech infantry squads pinned down by small arms fire from an entrenched REDFOR platoon. Had the supporting M1 not been artificially limited to strict use of the coax, the fight would have assumed a dramatically different tempo. This "small" flaw, in a game committed to getting the details right, effects the realism of the events being portrayed.

Could you please report this as a bug to be corrected in v1.1? My virtual doggies sure would appreciate it and I know you want the digital Corps tankers to be on the money, right? ;)

• 2 months later...

Gents,

I'm resurrecting this old thread for a reason. I STILL cannot fire the Bradley coax on its own.

Sure, on occasion the TacAI will use it, but those occasions are rare.

Is there ANY hope of EVER gaining control of the coax?

I wouldn't care about it if the 25mm ammo never ran out, but, unfortunately, it does. Now, to suppress various locations, the Bradley must use the 25mm for area fire. The thousands upon thousands of rounds of 7.62 go unused.

If BF.C states that this is the way it will remain for the CMSF family, then will it be changed for future games? Meaning, CM:Normandy? (Obviously the Bradley wouldn't be there, but there are plenty of AFV's with similar weaponry configurations.)

Thanks,

Ken