Reinforcements spawning in sight... .

iam currently doing a H2H map. its verry small 400x400 or so, and its strongly based on reinforcements.

means both sides have about 5 to 10 "possible" reinforcements, but the battle is 40min long and reinforcements are set to "earliest" 5-10 minutes, "arival spawn" + 0-60 minutes.

so its a bit of gambling who gets what as reinforcements and when will he get it.

to keep the players from stumbeling into the enemy reinforcements, spawning at some point i just set a objective in the center of the map(its a bridge battle). now if a player wich got lucky in his reinforcements(some reinf in short order) and chooses to compleatly destroy the other side, he could stumble into LOS of ariving reinforcements.

that can be twofold too. if its inf, it most probably will be dead meat, but if a tank apears while the player assaults over open ground for example, thats quiet bad.

now the map is verry smal, i cant bring in reinforcements in a "realistic" spot without getting the said problem. i could spawn them in mid of a orchad or so, but how did they get there!? that would be "unrealistic" spawn points.

what is your take on that!? i dont know if i should accept that as fact or try to work around it. but without increasing mapsize i dont know how to do it in a good way.

I have that problem as well in my map. It's a village on a mountain face, and the attacker is supposed to fight from the bottom, but will get reinforced from the mountain pass at the top at some point.

How can I make it so the defender doesn't camp the mountain pass point in expectation of the reinforcements?

It doesn't sound like there's anything that you can do to prevent this from happening mate, especially if both sides reinforcements arive randomly. Even expanding the map won't really stop this from happening. The only way you can prevent it is to tell the players to limit their operations to the central location and hope that they'll stick to the rule. If they don't, well, it's their own fault.

hm, at least iam not the only one seeing no options :D

@FMB(hope its ok to shorten it ;) )

thats a good option normaly but i intended them to spawn on a highway, and if there are 2 dips on both ends of the highway that will look odd. also on the smal map everywhere are houses or gardens or some other stuff, there is no room for a larger dip wich wouldnt be too steep downwards.

now i got the idea to designate 2 walled areas in both corners of the map as "reinforcement pool". means both players know about the reinforcement loaction and have to agree not to go there, or agree to ignore it and allow to camp the other players spawn. also good, as long as they both agree. i have to note that in the briefing.

in this area i will spawn infantry in 1 or 2 houses and possible vehicles, well somewhere in there too.

they will apear magicaly in this walled area, not perfect but better than nothing.

my luck is that i do a more or less" classical" MP map. the houses and locations are quiet symetrical, parted by a river with a bridge.

it doesnt look symetrical as i tried to make enough differenc in apearence but when red got a "good" house on one spot, blue will have a similar on theirs.

that means i actually dont "need" to spawn reinfocemens in a "realistic" spot. as the map and the fight with the highly randomized reinforcements is "unrelistic" enogh already to do that too.

you know one thing that would be cool is to be able to designate certain tiles to be one-way tiles only.

So you could walk one way, but the other way you'd have an "invisible wall" (or translucent or similar) kind of thing for troops and vehicles (but not for ammunition flying around).

This would enable the scenario designer to restrict fighting to a certain area, but enable reinforcements in another.

i tried to give an objective minus points. but that doesnt work.

so i would have made a touch objective that represents a off limits zone, wich gives the player wich crosses it -1000 points or so, wich would be enough to make him loose for sure.

however, you cant score minus points, or i couldnt do it in test scenarios.