What the hell happened to my save games???

Hi there, I've been having a frustrating time with Combat Mission lately :mad: . Because I don't have enough time for pbem anymore I've been playing against the computer more often and I've had a lot of problems with save game files getting corrupted or going missing. The first time it happened was with the 'Arnhem' operation, loading the most recent save game, and even the autosave, led to my computer crashing to desktop. And recently with the scenario 'All or Nothing', I was going along nicely and was saving regularly with two different files, alternating them in case the same thing happened. I finished one session at turn 50, I even reloaded the game before quitting to make sure it worked, and everything was fine. But the next time I tried to load this file, somehow it loaded a previous save game, and instead of turn 50 it was turn 39! Furthermore, something strange had happened to the autosave file, on the list of save games it had this as the description "tiny, 166097 turns." What the hell is that!!!! In desperation I tried opening it anyway and it just caused the game to freeze. Considering what a large battle this is it really is infuriating and I can't understand why such a game stopping bug hasn't been fixed. I've never had this problem and I've had the game for a long time. Can anyone suggest a solution to this? I've got a dual boot system of WinMe and Win2000 and I play CMBO on Win2000. I used to play on WinMe but now that has a problem with the sound driver. Could Win2000 somehow be causing a problem with CMBO? Any help would be appreciated as I really am losing my admiration for this game, and am having to turn to Soldier of Fortune 2 to release my frustration.

I have seen this issue before. Apparently what is occuring (at least for the people in the past that reported this) is that Windows 2000 is trying to INDEX your saved games. That will corrupt them as it tries to write into them.

What you will need to do is turn off indexing for CM game folders and files. That should do the trick.

Madmatt