Starting with the editor

Ok, Webwing's purty maps inspired me to crack open the editor last night and wow, it sure ain't CMx1, is it? I tinkered around with CMx1 quite a bit but never published anything, which is the most likely outcome of my tinkering this time around as well. :D Any hints, tips, tricks picked up by designers so far would be helpful. Plus......

1) doo dads don't show up on the map editor,how do you manipulate them? I really liked Web's use of sacks for sand bags but I couldn't figure out how you did it. Lil help?

2) Unit cost...or lack thereof. How does one decide what makes a balanced force? The point system was a nice benchmark and allowed me to gauge force balance but I have no clue with CMSF, unless I try and play the scenario.

Yes, I know I need to read up but I didn't see these questions answered while flipping through the manual last night.

mtw

some more tips along these lines, in regards to force balance, would be great

I think with force balance you have to basically just playtest.

Warfare is a little more complicated in CM:SF than previous, since for example an ATGM can take out a tank from across the map but is all but useless against infantry, placement makes a huge difference, artillery is devistating, etc.

In general though a U.S. company which is attacking will beat even those most hardcore Syrian company defending - it's more about how many casualties the U.S player takes. The more vehicles, artillery, and air support you give the U.S. player the easier it is going to be.

I put a U.S. heavy mech company up against a reinforced Republican Guard mech company with tons of ATGMS, defending a heavily wooded large hill, heavily dug in. I then playtested by just being a complete noob with the U.S. forces. My theory was they should be heavily defeated. Turns out there isnt much 12 M1A1's can't stop - even staggered as reinforcements every 30 minutes. Sure the U.S. player lost about 9, but when the ATGMs run out the remaining tanks walk all over everything. So first thing of course is to remove a tank platoon, and try again. That's how I do it. Eventually you get it right.

Originally posted by mike_the_wino:

Ok, Webwing's purty maps inspired me to crack open the editor last night and wow, it sure ain't CMx1, is it? I tinkered around with CMx1 quite a bit but never published anything, which is the most likely outcome of my tinkering this time around as well. :D Any hints, tips, tricks picked up by designers so far would be helpful. Plus......

1) doo dads don't show up on the map editor,how do you manipulate them? I really liked Web's use of sacks for sand bags but I couldn't figure out how you did it. Lil help?

2) Unit cost...or lack thereof. How does one decide what makes a balanced force? The point system was a nice benchmark and allowed me to gauge force balance but I have no clue with CMSF, unless I try and play the scenario.

Yes, I know I need to read up but I didn't see these questions answered while flipping through the manual last night.

mtw

some more tips along these lines, in regards to force balance, would be great

mike_the_wino,

Glad to hear that I encouraged you to start working with the editor. You'll have a lot of fun with it. I'd love to see more people using it. My video tutorials my seem too basic and boring to old timers/pros but the intention is to bring new people to the editor, the ones scared so far by it.

DaveDash answered is right about balancing the forces.

One thing I like to add is that it's not just a matter of 1 US Company beats 1 Syrian Company. You can tweak so many parameters like, Leadership, Motivation, Experience, etc. On top of that depending on where you place them and what role they play in your scenario they can be a fierce opponent to beat. Here is where you'll spend most of your design time.

Now about the sacks for sand bags that's in Pete Wenman fantastic Rural Maps series. It's his baby not mine! ;)

--

Originally posted by DaveDash:

I think with force balance you have to basically just playtest.

ugh, I am getting my ass handed to me on a regular basis now. I would feel horrible if I got my ass handed to me AND I knew exactly what I was facing. :rolleyes:

Maybe I will have to learn how to stack the odds in my favor through scripting....and then release a more evil version upon the world.....MUHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAA :D