Basic precept in designing a battle

I have played a couple of battles and I am seeing something that annoys the snot out of me for each CMXX game.

Don't start guys in the line of fire/sight of enemies, whether or not they are starting units or they are reinforcements. The game does not show units that are going to be spotted in the next 1-10 seconds of gameplay, so it's really annoying to have your guys sitting there getting shot up as if they magically appeared. I am a bit disappointed that some of the scenarios that shipped with the game did not take this into account. imho...

sgtabell

This has been expressed a lot over the years. It's a design decision. As long as the opening fire does not decide the game flat out it's OK for short battles. In longer ones with larger maps I agree the player needs time to plan. Scenario designers are lining up to post battles. Don't worry about the ones that shipped. They are just appetizers for the main meal.

Kevin

It's pretty funny how bad it was in CMBB, due to the Russian tendency to break morale easier...a well placed arty strike could stall out any offensive. There were times also where a well placed spotter would call down hell on your opening turn...(AI opponent of course).

The best option for me is that if it is the case the designer has a reinforcement area/start area, that the player receiving the units should be able to place with some cover. Not sure if that functionality is part of the design UI tho.

sgtabell