Random Lock up

Hadn't played the game in a while so i suppose my system had changed. However, now when I try and play it randomly locks up. Sometimes I can hit escape and exit. Others not. A reboot doesn't seem to help. Once it starts locking up then the problem becomes recurrent. No overclocking.I've re-installed the game.

No other games lock up.

Asus A7M266 512DDR latest Bios

Geforce3 38.32 reference

windows ME with all updates

4in1 drivers 4.38

latest Bios

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

The Northbridge chipset of your ASUS motherboard is actually based on an AMD chip and not a VIA chip. You can download the appropriate driver from AMD (the WinME AGP miniport driver v. 4.80).

Some people have managed to solve some of their problems with AMD CPUs by underclocking the CPU. Why CM should have problems with CPUs running at their rated clock rate, I don't know (because many players can play with them at their standard or overclocked settings).

When you lockup do the sounds (ambient) continue to play ? What sound card do you have ? If you turn off sound or ambient sound do you have less lockups ?

You may also want to get inside your case and dust around some of the fans, etc. Though this would be a problem with just about any other program if there was a thermal problem with your computer (though a 3D game like CM can tax your system and cause it to heat up more than most other apps).

[ May 15, 2002, 11:02 AM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

I have the miniport loaded.

Sound sometimes stays on.Cmedia on board sound. No IRQ conflicts.

No heat problems - I monitor those.

Another point. I actually managed to play for 30 minutes without a lock but when I tried to play WB3 afterwards I got the BSOD.

I have to say that I feel there are issues to be addressed in what is now rather an old program.

hans

I doubt that there is something in CMBO that should be fixed to address hardware issues. There may be issues with TCP/IP and other player observations, but I don't feel that the game needs to be patched to run on particular piece of hardware. Most of these issues end up being driver-related and not the fault of CM.

What is your BSOD crashing on (filename) ? Are you running in a RAID configuration ?

In your case I'm not sure what to say. Maybe you need to de-tune some of your memory settings in the CMOS/BIOS setup. Are you running the Internet-release of CMBO or the CDV version (not that there really is that much of a difference) ? Are you running with graphic and sound mods installed ?

[ May 15, 2002, 04:00 PM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

Graphic and sound mods? Never heard of these. I just loaded the 'full' install from the CD.

The BSOD occurred as i tried to load WB3 immediately after the Vid setting window.

All my bios are default. AGP is 128MB.

I'm fairly switched on at dealing with these sort of problems normally but this one has really got me beat.

hans

Though it won't help with the crashing you could increase the AGP setting to 256 (if it is offered in the BIOS).

As for the BSOD does it mention a filename in the contents of the crash ? Not that I'd really be able to troubleshoot this, but maybe there's a document online if your error has been seen before.

The grahic and sound mods are additional files that come on the 2nd CD with the CDV release or those that you can download from other sites. These are just texture replacements (usually a higher resolution) and wave file replacements (with slightly different sounds - though they should have the same sample-rate/frequency/bit-depth as the files they've replaced, though they could be longer).

Just to make sure here... your shortcut points to the CMBO executable file on your hard drive and not the CDROM, correct ?

What version of the CMedia drivers do you have installed ? Have you tried playing with sound disabled ? Do you have anything else running in the background (apps, utilities, browsers, etc.) ?

You may want to disable FastWrites in the CMOS/BIOS setup and see how this affects your system (under the Chip Configuration menu).