Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Graphical Quirks

Hi folks. I have just recently reinstalled CMBO. (Fairly long process of data backup and such after some strange events. But anyway. :D)

Anyway, I'm now noticing some graphical artifacts showing up on my display. Thinking it is always better to show you the problem as opposed to just telling you, here are some screenshots:

Opening Page Screenshot (JPEG), 219kb

In-Game Screenshot (JPEG), 147kb

So, a little explanation:

The first screenshot, you can see a "block" that has been carried over from the previous frame. The block is centered around my mouse cursor. Also, look at the letter "P" in "Play Scenario. Seeing the missing blue lining?

The second screenshot, (Chance Encounter, Allied View) my mouse is missing from view. As best I can tell, it is located just below the selected tank.

Now when I move my mouse, I get SOME frames of its movement, but not all. (Imagine a skipping animation of the mouse) This makes it VERY difficult to accurately and quickly play the game, frustrating me to no end.

In addition, the same kind of graphical artifacts as seen in the first screenshot occasionally appear while in game. (a small block of grass from a few seconds before, that sort of thing. Again, it seems to be centered more or less on my mouse.

So, can anyone help me out? When CMBO was first reinstalled, the game asked me if the default graphical setting it had detected was okay. I rather blithely hit "okay". I do not know if there is any way to change the graphical setting, (in hopes of alleviating the problem) but do any of you (nice, kind, and generous ;)) folk know of a way to do that or know of a better solution?

Thanks for your help! smile.gif

Edit: WHY did I try and use HTML for the links? I KNOW better than that in this forum! :D

[ 07-07-2001: Message edited by: I/O Error ]

Guest ckoharik

First, a little more info on your system would be helpful. OS? Graphics card?

The mouse/block/thingy you mention I remeber seeing when I had a Voodoo5. The others, not a clue.

Also, to reselect graphics settings you'll need to remove your "Combat Mission Bynd Ovr Prefs" file in the CMBO directory (or wherever you put it).

Which specific Dell laptop model ? Have you downloaded the latest driver from Dell for your Rage Pro display ? Unfortunately the drivers for laptop chipsets aren't available from directly from ATI, but only the laptop manufacturer. Are you using a particular brand of mouse or just the Dell supplied pointer and driver ? Have you updated this driver too ?

I'm not sure if it will solve (or most likely) make your problem worse, but you may want to enable "mouse trails". Go to the Start Menu > Settings > Control Panel > Mouse control panel (or if Dell has a different one for the TrackPad or TrackPoint that may be installed on your laptop, go to that) > Motion tab > enable (check box) Pointer Trail.

You may want to delete your CM Prefs file and redectect the resolution over again (and possibly not select the first one that comes up). Maybe running at a lower resolution may get rid of this problem (if you didn't notice it before).

[ 07-09-2001: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]