Mission 2 question.

Hey been playing mission 2, and its a tough one on veteran. Question I have is this I took the airbase HQ and the barracks, cleared them out and no enemies within 400 to 500 meters of the buildings. Based on end of mission map review. But the AI keeps getting credit for the barracks. Does anyone know why this is? Or is it just a mission 2 bug?

Art

LOL yea that is a tough mission i have to restart it soon. I got to see the game included IEDS and VBIEDS....that was a little bit of a shock. Looked over just to see 3 strykers in tight formation go up like a ball of flames. Good stuff though smile.gif

HOw did you clear the city? I'm thinking this time i'll goto the barracks and blow a hole in the wall then swarm in that way. Is there a way to blow the wall short of using the MSG to take teh wall out?

Javelines may blow a hole in the wall. my problem I run out of time, I go in through the front gate, after blowing up half the buildings. Push the MGS in a bit and deploy infantry to the left of the gate and off to the right past the now rubbled buildings. And pop the building on the other side of the hq, you can use pinpoint mortars or javelins. I use the mortars as soon as I take fire from it. But some men on the end of the HQ on the fith floor, they can use the javelines from there to pretty much hit everything. Also remember that the HQ strykers and the ones carrying the HMG's carry extra javelins. I caution you picking up the other launcher though, it ends up in the hands of someone who is not trained for it and you wasted javelines. The other guy cant hit the broad side of a barn.

After the HQ is cleared its time to clear the buildings between it and the barracks, or finish clearing. Javelins from five floor help with this. Use the MGS and some empty strykers to put the enemy in the barraks under fire then push a platoon up along the wall go past the first row of buldings and deploy on the back side of the 2nd row. They are now in a crossfire between that platoon and the Strykers they should go down fast. After the barracks are clear reload the infantry platoons javs out of the extra ones on some of the strykers and move troos into the apartments between the barracks and the Special forces building. I start blowing up the Special forcesing building to soften em up. But between the troops in the SF building and all the troops in the buildings in a big one level square I get bogged down and run out of time. By now choppers are usually down to guns and im out of morters, have some javelins but always short on time.. Turn based this wouldnt be a problem but I play realtime and I need to use the pause key allot more to control everything. At the end of last one I had 3 dead and 14 wounded. Still a draw because the ai got credit for the barracks for some odd reason.

Originally posted by artimusrex:

Hey been playing mission 2, and its a tough one on veteran. Question I have is this I took the airbase HQ and the barracks, cleared them out and no enemies within 400 to 500 meters of the buildings. Based on end of mission map review. But the AI keeps getting credit for the barracks. Does anyone know why this is? Or is it just a mission 2 bug?

Art

I had the same issue... I had one Infantry Squad in each Barracks building, but they were all at the end closest to the SF HQ and when the scenario ended the Syrians got credit for the Barracks... which really set me off... dunno what it is really... haven't replayed to try and work around the issue.

I'm guessing that the problem is that the "Barracks" objective is literally the one barracks building that has the word "Barracks" above it.

If you don't have a unit in _that_ building, I bet you don't get credit for it.

Unfortunately, since it's baked into a campaign there's no way (for us) to extend the objective area to encompass the whole barracks (which would let you occupy any part of the barracks).

I think they need to provide an enhancement to the territory objectives that allows the scenario developer to say "occupy this objective and no enemy forces within YYYY meters". With YYY being anything 0 to some reasonable upper limit.

If that capability is there, I've totally missed it.