Leadtek GeForce 256 - problem with white and transparency

I've had this issue the whole time with CM:BO and always managed to solve it. Problem is I can't recall how. And now I have a nice, otherwise functioning install of WinXP and can't recall how I managed to solve it with the earlier OSs. This is not a Windows XP specific problem and it is not, as far as I can tell, a general GeForce 256 problem. It is just the Leadtek WinFast I think.

I have tried LeadTeks factory drivers, nVidias latest, older and even more older rivers, Leadteks latest drivers and also used various incarnations of the VIA 4-in-1. I THOUGHT it was the VIA drivers that worked earlier, but it seems not so.

What happens is that white becomes transparent in the menus and on the interface in the game, it is most noticeable with CM:BO. It seems to continue to degrade for every screen switch. As it is now I can not see the file names when naming my pbem files, the entire box is black.

IIRC, there was a fix posted here or somewhere a year or two ago, anyone recall it? Thankful for any help.

Johan

The workaround you may have recalled was to minimize and then remaximize CM.

To fix this problem uninstall your video drivers. Install the 'Standard PCI SVGA' drivers on reboot (do not install the GeForce drivers yet). If you're running an OS other than WindowsXP, then I'd suggest installing DirectX 8.1b. After rebooting with this you may want to reinstall the latest VIA chipset drivers.

When this is done, install the 30.82 drivers. These don't have problems with 'transparent white' or FSAA. Newer beta drivers (40.xx) have problems with FSAA (though there are workarounds).

[ October 03, 2002, 06:33 PM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

Thanks!

That was exactly what I used to do, now I remember. Ie the complete uninstall thing. Problem is that Win XP seems to want to help me so when I reboot it has found some damn faulty nVidia driver that it forces down my neck. I have now tried with your suggestion I found in another older thread, deleting all nv*** files in System32 folder but I think I need to do this again. I've tried the 28.32 drivers (I think it was).

Thanks again for the help.

Johan

No luck. Win XP "helps" me and automatically installs some nVidia drivers on reboot found the gods know where since I deleted them all in System32 folder. I'll have to live with min/maxing until I figure out a way to do this properly.

All help with this appreciated.

Johan

WinXP has some built-in 12.40 NVidia Detonator drivers and you generally can't avoid installing them unless you have a much newer GeForce or you delete some of the standard Windows INF files that list these cards.

You can either install over these (12.40 has the 'white transparency problem') or you can 'update' the drivers in the Device Manager to the 'Standard PCI SVGA' or some other generic SVGA. Actually there might not be a generic SVGA driver in WinXP, so this may not be an option.