Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Error Initializing 3D Graphics

cvacha

I am running a Macintosh G3 powerbook 500mhz and I am recieving this error message:

Error initializing 3d graphics please set your desktop to a smaller resolution and try again.(this did not work) the message also says: make sure you have the very latest software installed for your 3d graphics card.

(I went to ATI's website and downloaded what I believe to be the most recent driver, still got same error) also loaded Open GL 1.1.2 still recieving error. Any suggestions? The original demo version worked great but the Gold and now this version on the cd both give these errors...Help

I don't know if you did this or not. You may want to try uninstalling your ATI software (there should be an uninstall option in the ATI software) and then reinstalling it to see if this helps. I guess some older control panels/extensions may somehow get left in. I believe this worked for one Mac user and the ATI Installer.

What OS are you running ? Do you have GameSprockets installed ?

[This message has been edited by Schrullenhaft (edited 09-21-2000).]

Hmmm... you may need to check your system folder for any ATI-related extensions or control panels that may still be left around.

If you're running OS 9.0.4 then you may want to try the Apple Update to the ATI drivers (which is even newer than the software posted on ATI's site - supposedly).

Apple ATI driver Update:

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/Forum8/HTML/000521.html

This next thread talks about an ATI driver problem on the Ruby iMac DV. In it you will find some people experimenting around with their extension/control panel versions, etc. So you may want to read it. Though in this case it turns out that there is a bug in the ATI driver as far as everyone can tell:

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/Forum8/HTML/000554.html

Oh... and delete your CM prefs file. If anything CM should be able to render in software mode (which is often slower, but compatible). You may have to let CM cycle through the available resolutions/options to see what is available.

[This message has been edited by Schrullenhaft (edited 09-22-2000).]

Cuurent OS 9.0.4

I have done everthing you have discussed so far to no avail. including dumping the CM prefs. I also yanked all the ATI drivers and extensions out and rebooted. Still recieved the error. I will try to reinstall OS 9 and the update this weekend maybe? to see if that gets me back to the older drivers. Thanks for steering me to all the info so far I will keep everyone posted...

Thanks

-Chuck