Please help! Cyclic redundancy check

Hello,

I recently tried to dust off my CMBB game and install it, but I'm running into an error everytime I try to install: Read Error Data error (Cyclic redundancy Check).

Now I have checked the forums and the error was reported at least a couple of times from other people a few years back it seems. However, a resolution for it was never posted or found.

This is what I have tried so far:

1) Normal install

2) Copy the file of the CD to my HD...no luck, same error.

3) Rebooted my computer and tried to install while in safe mode.

4) Updated all drivers.

None of it works. I do not have any anti-virus software installed, so nothing to interfere with it.

My system:

AMD64 3000+

1.25 Gigs of DDR266 RAM

Win XP Professional SP2

GeForce 6600GT w. 128 megs.

I can send a dxdiag to any mod who requests it.

Please help!

I must disagree. If you have once managed to read the data then this almost certainly a damaged/dirty CD, and CRC problems in my experience are always an indicator of a damaged disk (yes, sometimes of a faulty write, but normally that’s only with ‘home burned stuff on crappy disks).

It is MOST annoying, but easily cured unless the damage is substantial. Clean the CD. How? Carefully! Use google! But seriously: begin by using the same method you would use to clean spectacles (esp. the new plastic lenses, with or without 'hardcoat'. Clean around the disk not radially across (ie in circles, not straight lines). Use newspaper even (the oils in the inks help clean spectacles - and windows btw - to a gleaming finish - at least British newspapers do).

If a gentle clean/polish doesn’t cure the problem – check the disk for obvious signs – gunk/scratches etc. One of the best ways to remove gunk (and that annoying sticky residue from labels and suchlike) is oil – simple vegetable oil/olive oil: smear it on the gunky/sticky bit and leave overnight. Gently wash off with slightly soapy water.

If you have a visible scratch. You can try to polish it more aggressively (still using a soft cloth/newspaper – nothing abrasive) back and forth but still around (what’s the word I’m looking for?) not across - until the disk does become readable – it can work.

If that doesn’t work then you might have to move up the abrasive sale- I’ve no idea what might be available to you – start with talc. Then use your imagination - you’ll have nothing to lose.

Finally, bear in mind that you’ve bought a licence to use the product – ask the supplier to provide you with what you’ve paid for – they are responsible for the durability of the medium, since they have not sold you the medium itself, merely the right to access a certain arrangement of bits and bytes on a medium of their choosing.

I’d expect to have to pay a maximum of £10/$15 to get a replacement disk. If you're in the US forget that: I don't think American consumers have any rights, do they?

[ November 03, 2006, 08:08 AM: Message edited by: ramagel ]

• 2 weeks later...