I believe there's nothing wrong with CSMF terrain engine and here's why

I have 8600GT and CMSF crawls on Allah fist and the overall fps is not great. However with the same machine I can run Medieval 2 or SteelBeast Pro astonishingly at relatively high performance.

And today I found out why.

I decided to give my old time favorite game IL-2 Forgotten Battle a try after reading a book on the topic. Then I realise that there's a stark difference between using OpenGL or DirectX setting to play the game. Forgotten Battle allows the player to choose between OpenGL or DirectX rendering. As you may have figured out by now with DirectX my fps in game shoot up really fast to even the ranges of 100s sometimes. But with OpenGL I have the same performance with my old 9600XT back then with 512 DDR1 RAM. The fps was as low as 25s on the ground. Compared to using DirectX this is very low as with DirectX the fps would go as far as 60s.

So my guess is that the newer Nvidia graphics card that is the 8xxx series is really not meant to play games based on OpenGL.

Now that this is revealed the only solution to increase the fps CONSIDERABLY is to switch to DirectX instead of OpenGL..which is unlikely considering that CMSF is a finished product.

Running Vista? OpenGL support in Vista is crap. In XP, IL2 runs better in OpenGL than in DIrectX with my 8800GTX at least. I'm running at 100+ fps at maximum settings all the time so in that game OpenGL wirks fine in XP at least. Nevertheless, the terrain engine in CM:SF seems to be the problem just as you say. Check out my thread here where I try out a completely empty map with 1600x1600 meters of dirt with lousy fps (11)...

/Mazex

Maybe- maybe not. DOOM3 engine based games are OpenGL and I run the heck out of them... I mean maxed out and I get super FPS rates. The games are kind of stupid, but run like crazy.

Could be that the way IL2 makes some sort of draw, render, shortcut, hardware call or somefink like that is the same as CMSF and that is the problem.

Originally posted by Dirtweasle:

Great, sure plays faster.

I hate to say it though but the fonts appear a bit muddled in game. If you move up close to the text it improves but at a distance they get "fuzzy". Also notice a lot more contrast, maybe too much, but a different look for sure.

Try and adjust your anistropic filtering levels in your drivers. Those usually affect font sharpening the most.

Madmatt

Originally posted by Dirtweasle:

Great, sure plays faster.

I hate to say it though but the fonts appear a bit muddled in game. If you move up close to the text it improves but at a distance they get "fuzzy". Also notice a lot more contrast, maybe too much, but a different look for sure.

Interesting. I find everything to look the same as it was, very clear, perfect in fact. The only difference being a huge increase in performance.