CMBB/CMBO locking up

I have played CMBO and CMBB since they first came out without any problem, until today.

A few minutes into either game it simply freezes and the only thing I can do is reboot the PC.

I've had it in TCP/IP and against the AI.

The only thing I can think of that's changed since yesterday is that I have installed the latest WinXP upgrade. I know of at least one person who has also installed it and he doesn't have any problems.

I am at a complete loss.

[ October 16, 2003, 03:59 PM: Message edited by: Sgt_Kelly ]

This may be an overheating issue. I suggest first taking off the computer case side (if possible) to see if that will allow a little more airflow to things cool off. You may also need to dust out the computer (especially any cooling fans for the CPU or video card and possibly the case) with some 'canned air'. Check to make sure that the fans are spinning at a good speed (generally it isn't too hard to notice if they're spinning wrong/slowly). Before opening the case and doing anything inside, make sure that you've touched some metal to ground any static charge that has built up on yourself and which may damage computer circuitry. In fact, taking off your shoes can help a bit (since carpet and rubber soled shoes can generate static charges).

Another possibility is that some Windows 'patches' can be uninstalled from the Add/Remove Programs control panel (though you'll have to know the 'Q' number for the patch). Unless this is a Service Pack, then removing the patch may at least remove it from consideration as a culprit in your problem.