Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Alright got a pc problem, anybody out there willing to help me out???

This is my Pops PC I am working with.

Gateway PC

Athlon 1.0

Win Me

256 meg sdram

20gig HD

Sound Blaster Live

Geforce Tnt 16meg card.

Problem is I walk him through a windows reinstall a month or so ago. Never really fixed the problems.

The problems are wide ranging.

1. PC will often lock up during boot.

2. Sometimes during bootup sound plays and continues to skip and PC is locked up.

3. PC boots up fine 5-30 mins later locks up.

4. PC boots up fine but does not recongnize either Rom or Burner.

5. Sometimes no sound at all.

PC has no problems at all in safe mode. As soon as I load all windows Drivers Locks up 5-30 mins.

I thought maybe sound card was bad but it works fine in another PC, at least the 20 mins I had it in.

My Dad has another PC which is a newer Dell with XP. I thought to put XP on his older PC, but I am not sure if it will work being the PC is Gateway, and trying load XP from Dell disks. Plus he has a new Laptop, with XP I thought to use XP from that but that is HP so not sure if HP disk will work with Gateway.

Help me out somebody

Hi Shatter.

Ok. If the pc works as expected in safe mode witout the crashes then it suggests it's a driver conflict somewhere along the lines that is causing the machine to hang.

When you reinstalled did you format the drive first or did you simply 'upgrade' over the top? It might be worth formatting and starting from scratch.

As for installing XP I wouldn't bother as it will hog the resources of the machine. You would get it on ok but it would run slower than it does already!