Noticed some odd tank driving behavior while attempting to gain advantageous position on the backside of a slope...

I commanded several tanks to move fast up to the base of a ridge, then added a command to hunt up to a position just before the apex of the ridge. I was very careful with the placement of my waypoints as I was attempting to gain some protection from the reverse slope.

When the tanks reach the apex of the ridge, they proceeded past my waypoint, over the apex and then tried to execute a fairly tight clockwise turn to come back over the top of the slope (the J-hook).

Of course they never completed the J-hook 'cause they each took one in the ass end. Ouch!

I was trying to be very careful in my placement of the final waypoint. Even if I had made a mistake in my placement of the final waypoint and put it too far forward, these tanks should simply reverse out of trouble. The J-hook move is fatal.

Originally posted by Elmar Bijlsma:

You may wish to limit the use of the faster move commands. They tend to cause a lot of overshooting of waypoints and as you have noticed the ability of the AI to correct these navigational faux pas is *cough* limited. When precision is called for more then speed use ordinary move command for vehicles.

Possibly...but the overshoot is happening with the hunt command which begins well before the top of the rise. I'll have to play with that a bit.