CMSF ALT-TAB hangs windows

I have been playing the download version of CMSF for a few days now and have run across a problem.

If during the game I use ALT-TAB to escape to the desktop everything appear ok. I can launch other programs and return to CMSF with no apparent problems.

However when I finally exit CMSF the mouse moves normally and has the normal arrow cursor but if I click on the start button or click on a desktop icon to launch a program nothing happens except the mouse cursor may turn into the hourglass cursor.

In any case I cannot get anything to execute once exiting CMSF. I cannot even ALT-TAB-DELETE to the task manager. The only thing I can do is power off the PC and reboot.

This problem ONLY and ALWAYS appears to happen if I ALT-TAB while in game.

My system specs:

Dell Dimension 8400

P4 3.4GH, 2GB RAM

Windows XP Home with SP2

Nvidia 6800GT, forceware 93.71 drivers

I have also had problems using the Alt Tab to escape to Desktop

But I found that using the "START" key takes me back to the Desktop and I can use the Ctrol-Alt Del command to use the task manager to adjust aspects like the Affinity re cores, and then return to CMSF.