Lock-Ups and Video not CM

I do not think my problems are a CM problem

I have a HP Pavillion 9780c with 128MB pc100 memory, TNT 2Pro, USB keyboard/mouse, 2 ethernet cards, dvd, cdrw, and a soundblaster live, Athlon 900.

Anyway, I have lockups in CM that manifests themselves in these forms:

total freeze at anypoint in game

Total freeze at anypoint in game with green streak at screen top

Stuttering sound and freeze and sometimes not.

Anyway, Diablo 2 is also flaky as well as a 3d screen saver that comes with win98. I think this is most likely a motherboard/video problem. It is drivers, or conflicts, maybe hardware failure.

I do not think it is a CM issue.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Time Software:

First things to check:

1) Install DirectX 7.0a.

2) (Re)install the latest drivers for your TNT2.

Charles<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tried all that and no go. I do think I have the final answer. This is an HP Pavillion with an Athlon 900 Mhz and the chumps only put in a 185w powersupply. I am trying to get them to take the piece of junk back!

Hi,

Check your memory. I was getting occassional lockups despite using every precaution system wise. Checked all the drivers/hardware, and found nothing. For the hell of it I downloaded Norton 2000 and checked out my system. Found some active x errors, and on 1 try found an error in my memory. CM locked during this boot right after starting. Rebooted...no memory error...game played great. Everytime the game locked, there was a memory error, ererytime it worked, there was no memeory error...bought some knew memory and no problems since.

Paul