Your Favorite WWII SMG and why...

The return of your favorite WWII_______ and why thread... I must say this SMG one is a bit difficult for me to decide.For the Allies I just go crazy. I love the sten, then again i love the thompson and greaser because of the .45 ammo, but u just love the sound of a PPSH-41. Axis I really love the MP-40. I guess if i had to pick 1 of them it would be the U.S. M3 SMG "Grease gun" for its .45 ammo( plus the kit to change it to 9mm german ammo, a must in Europe :D ), its light weight and reliablity.

The Owen Gun. They were specifically designed in Australia to function in the most adverse jungle conditions possible and lived up to their reputation for reliability no matter how badly they were treated. One was buried in mud for a period of three months then dug up, cocked and it still fired its entire magazine without jamming.

They were so well regarded by the Australian army grunts that they were still highly prized for the in close jungle fighting in the early years of the Vietnam War until they were officially withdrawn from use. Not bad for a machine pistol design that was pretty much regarded as old hat after WWII following the advent of assault rifles.

Regards

Jim R.

Originally posted by Kanonier Reichmann:

The Owen Gun. They were specifically designed in Australia to function in the most adverse jungle conditions possible and lived up to their reputation for reliability no matter how badly they were treated. One was buried in mud for a period of three months then dug up, cocked and it still fired its entire magazine without jamming.

They were so well regarded by the Australian army grunts that they were still highly prized for the in close jungle fighting in the early years of the Vietnam War until they were officially withdrawn from use. Not bad for a machine pistol design that was pretty much regarded as old hat after WWII following the advent of assault rifles.

Regards

Jim R.

I would also say the Owen ,for all the same reasons.

R

I can only go on what I have experience of. The Thompson is amazing. The .45 is a real man-stopper and the gun is so heavy that recoil is almost nil, that and when you run out of ammo you could beat an elephant to death with it. However my favouite has to be the PPSh. We got hold of one in Afghanistan and it was really old. I think the date on it was '43 but I am not sure as it was well worn, it also had a big star on it. The thing was magic to shoot though, it had been really well cared for and fired off drums in one go with no problem (till it got really hot then it complained a bit!). Overall it is nice and light with just the right rate of fire and really accurate up to about 75m. The rounds are a bit weak but fun as hell.

Oh yes, SMG's AKA 'Sweet-Magical-Guns', right...

In all seriousness, the Maschinepistole 40/I, weighting in at 8.87 pds (dry), 24.8 ins (closed stock), barrel length 9.9 ins, ROF [rate of fire] 450-550 rds per minute, muzzle velocity 1,250 fps, and an effective range of 200-225 meters...A mean, nasty, little package. AND the 'blat' sound it had/has somehow typifies the SMG. Second choice has got to be Heckler and Koch's G11, but I don't know if one can classify this as an SMG.