Off-map AT fire?

Hello.

I have just purchased a copy of ToW and started playing Polish campaign. In first two missions I observed that my tanks and tankettes moving close to map's edge (or more precisely: gameplay area's edge) were often hit (and destroyed), although no enemy was visible. Closer observation revealed something like anti-tank gun fire coming from outside map (judging by tracers), though without any visible source. Has anyone experienced the same phenomenon? Does that hapen at all maps along all edges or only some of them?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi slbm, I have had something similar to what you describe on several occassions, usually it is from vehicles entering the fray from off map positions.

I havent played the polish campaign yet, so I could be wrong, but everytime Ive encountered that it has been what I mentioned above, or occassionally AT guns that havent been spotted yet. If it is the later, if you look closely, you should be able to see smoke/mussle flash coming from the gun positions.

hope that helps

Yes, I've also encountered such vehicles on several occasions (in German campaign), so I assume, that in the Polish missions there are some cleverly hidden AT guns preventing you from too smart flanking manoeuvres smile.gif Earlier I simply did not know, that a unit can be positioned outside the playing zone. So thank you for your answer and watch out when playing Polish smile.gif

BTW: If a unit can be positioned in such a way, why do player's reinforcements appear out of nowhere? I think, they should enter the playing zone just as enemy vehicles do, perhaps they should be AI-controlled while approaching.