Game wont start, no tow2.dll

Hey lads, just got the game and installed it, started it.. worked fine. Checked the website, downloaded the patch addon thingi and installed... now it wont start...

The Tow.Exe gives me nothing, absolutly nothing, not even in the taskmanager.

Tow_1.4.exe gives me the following error:

unable to find/load f:\games\Theatre of War\JET RT\XKRN36043.dll(referenced from f:\games\theatre of War\Tow_1.4.exe)

ToWsetup.exe gives me "This application has failed to start because elicen40.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem. (tried that, it didnt). Pressed ok then the next error message popup: "Dll library rts.dll cannot be loaded".

Read in the forums tried the Nvidia turn of "Extension Limit". Still no go.

Noticed the hint to rename "Tow2.dll" to "elicen40.dll", but the problem is there is no Tow2.dll file... searched it with windows and it finds nothing... ??

What to do?

My spec:

Pentium 4 3Ghz

2gig Ram

Nvidia 7800GT (driver version: 169.21)

Log.lst (if needed?)

[Dec 30, 2007 5:34:54 PM] ------------ BEGIN log session -------------

Sound: Native library (build 1.1, target - P IV) loaded.

Main3D >>> renderer type: OPENGL

WWThreadPool.create(): Thread pool is created. Threads count = 0

Load gui skin from: Data/Settings/gui.ini

=========================== CampaignRecList.updateList() begins ===========================

=========================== CampaignRecList.updateList() ends ===========================

Time overflow (0): speed 0.23597273

ERROR file: File wwrcu not found

Initializing DirectSound playback device...

Primary buffer created.

Playback format is set : sampling rate = 44100, num channels = 2.

Buffer caps : Transfer rate = 0, CPU overhead = 0.

Default speaker config is : 1310724.

Direct sound audio device initialized successfully :

DX Version : 7

Hardware - enabled [buffers : 32]

Extensions - enabled :

EAX ver. 1 [X] - enabled

EAX ver. 2 [X] - enabled

EAX ver. 3 [ ] - disabled

I3D ver. 2 [X] - enabled

ZoomFX [ ] - disabled

MacroFX [ ] - disabled

SIMD render [X]

num channels 16

cannot open file for reading

Cannot open audio file samples/Error_empty.wav

=========================== CampaignRecList.updateList() begins ===========================

=========================== CampaignRecList.updateList() ends ===========================

================ MissionManager.loadMissionBriefing() missions/single_missions/battle_heroes/briefing.xml ================

================ MissionManager.loadMissionBriefing() ends ================

================ MissionManager.loadMissionBriefing() missions/single_missions/battle_heroes/briefing.xml ================

===================================================================

Last serial num: unknown

Total size in bytes: 0

Number of blocks: 0

VoicesTable.load(): files were scanned in 7172 ms

::: setLoading=true

ERROR file: File ww.cmd not found

Selected Decal #1: STEEL, TEX 0, BRIGHTNESS 0

--------------------------- Precache Effects begins ---------------------------

--------------------------- Precache Effects ends ---------------------------

LandscapeTrees.recalcTreeVisBlocks() recalculated in 0 ms

MapsStorage: Cannot find file "maps/Vyazma_w_SM/pfsmap.bin" or "maps/Vyazma_w_SM/pfswatermap.bin"

PFS recalculate PFSCache failed: initMission for Normal: nodeNum= 46846, availNodeNum=0

PFS recalculate PFSCache failed: initMission for Aggressive: nodeNum= 21778, availNodeNum=0

--PFSCache created--

=== END OF TRIGGER COMPILATION ===

::: setLoading=false

================== START MISSION missions/single_missions/battle_heroes/mission.xml=====================

Time overflow (19): speed 0.5011136

================== DESTROY GAME =====================

::: MeshShared.shared Effects\GunFire\020_049mm\mono.sim not destroyed, link count = 8

::: MeshShared.shared Effects\GunFire\050_089mm\mono.sim not destroyed, link count = 18

::: MeshShared.shared Effects\GunFire\010_019mm\mono.sim not destroyed, link count = 37

PFS recalculate missionDestroy for Normal: nodeNum= 47271, availNodeNum=116

PFS recalculate missionDestroy for Aggressive: nodeNum= 22002, availNodeNum=116

PFS recalculate missionDestroy for Normal: nodeNum= 47271, availNodeNum=29756

PFS recalculate missionDestroy for Aggressive: nodeNum= 22002, availNodeNum=4541

================== DESTROY GAME IS DONE=====================

================== DESTROY GAME =====================

GObj.finalize (1): C++ object 575791792 [null] java name [?] of class com.maddox.core.Mesh NOT destroyed, JAVA link count = 37, last link count = 0

GObj.finalize (1): C++ object 578781120 [null] java name [?] of class com.maddox.core.Mesh NOT destroyed, JAVA link count = 18, last link count = 0

GObj.finalize (1): C++ object 586045032 [null] java name [?] of class com.maddox.core.Mesh NOT destroyed, JAVA link count = 8, last link count = 0

PFS recalculate missionDestroy for Normal: nodeNum= 47271, availNodeNum=29756

PFS recalculate missionDestroy for Aggressive: nodeNum= 22002, availNodeNum=4541

================== DESTROY GAME IS DONE=====================

WWThreadPool.destroy(): Thread pool is destroyed

[Dec 30, 2007 5:39:25 PM] -------------- END log session -------------

Thanks in advance... I want to play this game badly... happy new year to you all :D

What version have you bought (Battlefont version here via download, Russian version, German version...international version???) and what patch have you downloaded?? I assume it is the one here from Battlefront.

AFAIK the Battlefront patch works only with the Battlefront version of the game. Maybe you have to check what patch goes with what version of YOUR game.

If this mismatch is not the case.... somebody else must help.

Happy new year too

Uwe

Just a thought because someone else had a similar problem. They had turned on "Data Execution Prevention" for all programmes installed in windows (xp i think, but may be same in vista as well?) which stopped the game from running. Think once they added runservice.exe which is in c:\windows dir and tow.exe in your game dir to the DEP tab it worked ok.

[ January 02, 2008, 12:36 PM: Message edited by: Budge4 ]

Dont even have a runservice.exe. Googled it and it seems to be somthing for the onlinedownload only?

"Developers and publishers of digital goods -- and owners of any intellectual property -- can rapidly package their assets for online distribution..."

Tried the DAP thing anyways with all other exes other then runservice.exe (since I dont have it) and nothing happend... same thing as before...

I have now tried three different links from http://www.battlefront.com/products/tow/patch.html and completely reinstalled the game and still no go. And still I cant find any Tow2.dll to rename...

I dont have the energy to reinstall the game again ( tongue.gif ) but thats what I have to do to be able to play the game... wierd... and sad...

Thanks anyways Budge4 smile.gif

If your using xp runservice.exe is in your windows dir not the game dir. I just tried switching the DEP on and game would'nt run until both runservice.exe and tow.exe were added to DEP tab. If you have'nt DEP switched on its irrelevent anyway i guess.

The tow2 file was apparently an error with early patch as far as i know, thats why it had to be renamed to elicen40.dll. If elicen40.dll is in your game dir it should be ok. My installation of game does'nt have the tow2 file in either but has the elicen40 one and game works fine.

Does your towsetup.exe run ok, maybe its set a res or refresh rate to high that your monitor cant handle.

[ January 02, 2008, 01:21 PM: Message edited by: Budge4 ]

Before you install patch henriksultan you say the game works ok, have you checked the game version at that stage (before patch), you may already have the latest version 1.3.0.56 (english version) and not need to patch it. If your TOW is in a different language you may already have latest version or you may be using the wrong patch also.

[ January 03, 2008, 07:57 AM: Message edited by: Budge4 ]

Than you do not have to apply any patch. Your version is the newest on the market!!!

The Battlefront version is still on 1.3.0.56 and the coming patch will bring it to a version higher than yours right now.

I assume you will not be able to use the coming patch from Battlefront (1.3.0.56 > x.x.x.x). You will have to wait for the patch to be released from your publisher (1.7.0.68 > x.x.x.x). Is it Kalypso by the way?? That would be the same publisher than in Germany.

Uwe

Ha ha, well then there you go.... I assumed I didnt have the latest since there is no mention of "Moscow Add-On and Game Patch" anywhere within the game (as I have seen anyways tongue.gif ).. my bad.. now that I checked I have the Battle for Moscow 1941 as mentioned in the patch note...

My bad people, haha feel like a jackass tongue.gif

I think that you should mention that for DVD buyers that have kalypso (or other if there is any) as publisher dont need the patch. Isnt very clear...

I did check there website for a download but when I didnt find one I assumed they just didnt update the page tongue.gif

Thanks for all Uwe and Budge4. Now I am off to battle some in Moscow! smile.gif

Glad you got it sorted out henriksultan,

Can understand the problem you had with all the different latest versions from the different publishers, easy done.

Happy Battles.

ps: When the big 1.2gig patch comes out shortly get the kalypso one smile.gif