Does not launch - with Moscow error trap #3

TOW from DVD installed. Does not launch. With "Battle Moscow Add-on and Game patch #1, I get "runtime error #3(trap)". What's wrong?

PC: Windows XP SP2, Pentium 4, CPU 3Ghz, 2Gb Ram, Nvidia GeForce 7300 GT.

I will be grateful for help, after spending hours troubleshooting, I'm getting nowhere.

Hi

Have you tried the fix from Madmatt?

We have discovered an issue for people that installed the game from DVD and then applied the patch.

Those people are missing a single file that will keep the patched version of Theatre of War from properly launching.

To fix this issue, simply rename the file called tow2.dll (located in the Theatre of War game directory) to elicen40.dll

That should do it!

--------------------

Battlefront.com

Your best friend, your worst enemy

If this doesn't help then try opening the game by running the TOW 1.4.exe file in the game directory.

Hope this helps smile.gif

Stanley01,

I suspect you have looked at these ideas already, but from other threads:

Update graphics card drivers

Turn water detail to low (if you can even get that far)

Uninstall, then delete application folder and re-install

One of the threads even suggested reinstalling operating system

If all else fails, one of the moderators can (hopefully) help you....

Who are moderators?

*Uninstalled TOW;

*Deleted maps c:\battlefront\TOW and c:\battlefront;

*Defragmented c-drive and controlled disk;

*Checked video card GeForce 7300 GT settings - just new! seems OK;

*Installing TOW from DVD - following instructions;

*Entering licence key - just OK, no error msg.;

*Launch - nothing happens (again) - except most icons disappear 1-2 sec. and reappear;

*Mission editor seems to work;

*Rename tow2.dll into elicen40.dll - no difference, still does not work;

*Rename elicen40.dll back into tow2.dll;

*Install Moscow add-on & patch;

*Launch Tow - runtime error #3(trap);

*Launch tow_1.4 - does not launch, no error msg., but 1 sec a small window icon in control bar;

*Copy elicen40.dll to tow2.dll - no difference;

*Change water from high to low - no difference;

I am desparate - this game seems so wonderful, but it just does not launch!

I understand how frustrating it must be...nothing like computers to suck up your day and leave you in the dark and disappointed. :(

Looking at your list of attempts, I don't see that you've mentioned updating your graphic card drivers. (Especially as you mention its new !!) You should have version 163.71, released on the 28th Sept. based on your set-up. I got the details from Nvidia.co.uk. Excuse me if you've tried this already redface.gif

There are experienced posters here, especially Sneaksie and Battlefront.com (aka Steve). I doubt you'll have to wait too long for them to reply.

Does anyone else have these kind of problems?

What to do???

TOW still does not launch: rebooting frequently:

*After uninstall, delete Battlefront maps, reinstalled, with & without Moscow add-on, rename tow2.dll to elicen40.dll, upgrade video card drivers, DEP settings "with essential ....", "turn on DEP for all Windows pgm's...EXCEPT....." with adding the mentioned appl., and back again, video card anisotropic filtering from appl. controlled to off and back again, extension limit = off, on doesn't work either, (I don't have threaded optimization), water to low, single CPU on/off -- all to no difference -- TOW: runtime error #3(trap), tow_1.4: small window in control bar, no game. Other new games can run smoothly on my PC. I am running out of options. Is TOW still a kind of beta-version?

Does anyone have good advice, except returning the game (and losing this battle)?

There are three possible solutions that now come to my mind:

1. Try to update tha latest video drivers from http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_163.71.html

If they are the latest, try to rollback to one of the previous, probably more stable version.

2. Open towsetup tool, switch off sound there.

3. Check your hardware. Some users reported, that changing cooler or memory card helped to solve the issue.

[ October 22, 2007, 09:52 PM: Message edited by: dmg ]

He guys, I really appreciate your help - even if it does not work out - it could have helped and I would be really happy!

Whatever I try, it doesn't make a difference: it still doesn't launch at all - other "normal" games go smoothly, so I consider that my hardware is healthy. A game that needs so much tweaking, fiddling and special hardware is in my eyes not fully developed, ready for sale.

If a new patch to fix these problems is released soon, I would really welcome it.

After spending 300 Euro on hardware + this game I am not very happy now.

Other good ideas are still welcome, but I am loosing faith in TOW (and other Battlefront products I probably will not buy anymore).

• 2 weeks later...