Worst problem ever

I have just received TOW.

I installed it successfully and at the end agreed to install the codec suggested and the adobe reader. I was then asked to restart the machine and agreed---a quick message flashed up about some .dll issue and the comp turned off.

But when it restarted and got through the windows xp screeen ----nothing at all. I cannot get any display whatsoever so I can do nothing to this game nor can I get to any other of my games.

I am not a profficient user and am just totally stuck as to what I can do.

AMD 64 4600+ Dual Core Radeon 1900

Can anyone please help to at least get my other game displays back.

PS Could anyone tell me the name of the codec the game installs at the end---could the problem revolve round that ??

Many thanks

[ May 31, 2007, 10:31 AM: Message edited by: pcelt ]

I replied to this already in email, but let me do so here as well:

Its odd that you were asked to reboot after installing the game, thats not normal.

Did you install anything else along with the game? You might want to try and boot Windows up in Safe Mode and see if that at least allows the computer to come up and then just to be safe, remove the game, the codec and Adobe Reader (you can do this all from the Add-Remove Programs utility found in the Windows Control Panel.).

Once you have confirmed that the computer is booting back up to Windows properly, go ahead and JUST re-install the game (no codec, no Adobe). Then see if that works, then install Adobe Reader. You dont really need the codec for anything other than to see the intro movie.

Let me reiterate though that nothing with the game should affect Windows in this way, so you will want to look at anything else that could have done this such as a possibly faulty harddrive or other type hardware issues. Those types of problems will usually only come to light after a reboot, and the fact that this occurred right after installing new software could be coincidence.

By the way, when you reboot, do you see the BIOS screen which appears and counts the memory and everything? What about the Windows Logo as Windows loads up?

Madmatt

Yes I see the loading screen and the Windows Logo but it then stops and black screen only.

NB If I do manage to get into the display can you tell me what is the name of the codec which is installed with the game?

Re the rebooting, I think I was asked "if you now want to play the game you need to restart the computer --to which I replied "yes" and the process was initiated by the programme and then it failed to reload properly as I have described.

Any further thoughts anyone ?

Has no-one else been invited to resrart thr computer before playing the game ?

Thanks guys for your info and feedback---followed the "Return to last known good configuration" option and got a successful boot . All seems perfectly in order and after installing the 2 preliminary patches rhe game seems to be behaving itself.

Cause of catastrophe a mystery but that seems to apply to much of what occurs with computers.

Cheers