TOW and editor not launching (eLicense issue?)

Basically, when clicking on the TOW shortcut or .exe, the game does not launch; an hourglass appears briefly, and then there is a Windows error sound and the hourglass turns back to a normal mouse pointer. TOW.exe continues running in the background (visible in the Task Manager Processes screen) and continues making the error sound every 30 seconds or so. (This isn't a CTD or lockup - the game never leaves the desktop in the first place, and Windows continues running as normal)

The same happens when attempting to launch the mission editor.

I've tried changing the Windows DEP settings (disabling it for all the TOW executables) but this has no effect (even after restarting my PC - several times).

I have an AMD Athlon 64 with an ATI Radeon X550 graphics card. I do not have the latest ATI drivers, or the AMD CPU utilities (I'm downloading them now!) but I'm guessing that this is an eLicence problem, not a hardware or graphics compatibility issue (as I think you have to launch eLicense before launching the game itself)

Anyone else having this problem?

I have now installed the latest ATI drivers as well as the AMD CPU optimiser; TOW still won't start. Also tried shutting down all other Windows programs (using the "EndItAll" utility) - still the same problem.

I have set all the graphics options to minimum in the configuration utility, also disabled EAX, just to be on the safe side, though I don't think this is a hardware issue.

Also I have tried installing the DVD patch, but this causes further problems - it gives a "missing elicen40.dll" error message when I attempt to launch the configuration utility, it also results in the "wrong game version" error when starting the mission editor (not that the editor worked in the first place). Hence I've now reinstalled the game without the patch.

Final update: I tried the boot.ini fix in the "Wrong version editor error" sticky thread, and it worked - at least, I've got as far as the eLicense screen and have now licenced my copy successfully. Hopefully I shouldn't have any further issues...

I'm running WinXP Pro (with SP2 I think). I haven't tried the demo as I only have a 56k dialup connection, it's too large for me to download (same reason I opted for the mail delivery rather than download version of TOW)