WOOOO HOOO IT WORKS! Can't finish initializing

I got my hard copy of TOW and loaded it but get this message when I try to open

"elicense control

In order to finish initalizing, this application must first be run by a user with administrator privileges.

Please contact your system administrator for help

5-2"

I am the system administrator & I have been no help in with this problem.

I had previously downloaded TOW and did the license thing, but had Vista related problems and could not open the game. I was/am hoping that some how the hard copy would work.

How do I finish initializing?

Man this game is a royal pain in the ass

[ May 13, 2007, 12:24 PM: Message edited by: zebedee ]

No, it's not the game but Vista's new User Access Control "feature". Right-click on the game exe and choose "Run as Admin". For some reason probably only Bill knows you have to do this even if you are the Admin.

Martin

Crap!

That didn't work!

Sigh

Excuse my frustration, but this is what I mean by TOW being a royal pain. Frankly Vista has been know of and out long enough for the designers to make TOW compatable. I'm also getting a wrong game version error & yes I tried the copy msvcr71.dll and msvcp71.dll fix and that didn't work.

I don't want to get frustrated, I don't really blame anybody. I'm a computer idiot and I really don't have the right to throw stones at anyone.

I just want to be able to play the game.

Oh, we've been testing TOW with Vista for months before release. But that Run as Admin function has nothing to do with compatibility.

Did you download the compatibility patch? You need that first.

Martin

Yes, I meant the DVD patch. So you downloaded it and installed it? And you have done Run as Admin?

I would suggest to get in touch with support@battlefront.com to get to the bottom of this. There is no difference between the download version and the CD version, so whatever problems you had with the former are going to still be there in the latter. But of course - it should work. You're not using VIsta 64 by chance?

Martin

OK I uninstalled, again loaded the patch and reinstalled. After everything seemed to load the screen just froze on the tank. After I got out of that I tried to open the game and I get a pop up box with a small case i in a blue circle and 1813-2. Any idea what that is?

thanks

I had been taking the DEP (or what ever it is) security off individual files & must not have got them all. So I changed ot just essential Microsoft files & it worked - though I haven't checked the mission editor yet.

Yeah, unfortunately the DEP implementation seems to be buggy in some CPUs as well as Windows itself. Depending on the combination of these, weird results can occur. In a recent support case, the user was getting a 1813-2 error. Even though the DEP setting was already checked to "protect essential Windows files", the solution was to manually check it again and save the changes, and then reboot. Go figure... :rolleyes:

Martin