Give up for now ...

I dropped back on my drivers (91.47) and seemed to help for awhile but now getting dropped back to desk top as before with 93.71. Game seems to be running just fine when out of nowhere ...back to the desktop!

My system is an Alienware

3.07 P4

1.5 Gig mem.

Audigy 2 sound card

GF 6800GS

Tried all the different tweaks listed in all the different threads ...no joy ..no game for now ..was fun while it lasted. :(

Regards,

Gunz

You tried to run with all these tweaks?

In the Sound Panel, disable EAX

In the Video Panel, disable Shadows (seems to have best results!)

In the Sound Panel, disable Music

Disable any Virus Protection Software before launching the game (has worked for some people)

Unload or shutdown any other background applications/programs (Chat programs, email, internet browsers, etc...)

Optimize the Windows Page File (see below)

We have been getting very good results with some slight tweaks to the Windows Page File. The Page File is used by Windows to cache frquently accessed information and data on your hard drive. For everyday use, you usually do not need to change the default settings for this Windows managed file, but by tweaking the its' configuration, you can gain performance and stability in Theatre of War (as well as other games and applications).

Usually the Page File size is set to "dynamic", meaning that Windows enlarges and reduces the size of this file as it see's fit. However, that can lead to occasional file fragmentation which then leads to system performance issues.

We suggest setting a specific size for this file. In XP, the page file settings are accessed by going to: Start Menu > Settings > Control Panel > System > Advanced tab > Performance Settings group > Advanced tab – Virtual Memory.

Once there, click “Custom size” and set both the “Initial size” and the “Maximum size” to at least 2000 MB, 3000 is MUCH better. With this fixed size, the page file is now “locked” so Windows will no longer dynamically control the size of the file and as a result also reduce file fragmentation and improve performance.

Note: You will need to make sure that you have enough free space on your hard drive to accomodate the new Page File Size.

We also suggest defragging the Page File and the hard drive its located on from time to time. This can be done with either a 3rd Party Defrag Program (usually used on your hard drive) or with the Windows Defrag Program ( Start Menu>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Disk Defragmentor).

Yes sir ...all those you have listed. The only time I really seen a difference was when I rolled back on my video drivers from 93.71 to 91.47 ..the drops to desk top seemed to stop ..for one day ..now that has returned ..no runs, no drips, no ERRORS ..just back to desk top.

Anyway ..this is all making my head hurt ...so gonna give up warring for awhile and back to Racing ..GTR2 and rFactor ..I know I'm good to go there.

Good luck with the patch ..be back in a couple of months to check progress.

Best Regards,

Gunz

Originally posted by GunzAbeam:

Yes sir ...all those you have listed. The only time I really seen a difference was when I rolled back on my video drivers from 93.71 to 91.47 ..the drops to desk top seemed to stop ..for one day ..now that has returned ..no runs, no drips, no ERRORS ..just back to desk top.

Anyway ..this is all making my head hurt ...so gonna give up warring for awhile and back to Racing ..GTR2 and rFactor ..I know I'm good to go there.

Good luck with the patch ..be back in a couple of months to check progress.

Best Regards,

Gunz

You might want to try deleting the ~user.usr file thats the old setting for vedio and it sometimes helps.