Game is unplayable because of Crash To Desktop

The game Crash to Desktop alot so I save alot then when it does Crash To Desktop I go back in the game to load my last save and in the middle of loading it crashes to desktop. So I cant load my savegames.

Id say atleast half of my saves wont load. I get no error or anything just immediate CTD.

System Specs:

Windows XP SP2

2.4 GHZ Core 2 Duo

2 GIG Crucial Ballistix

Asus P5B Deluxe

EVGA 8800 GTX

All latest drivers and this computer plays all my other games fine.

Please release a patch.

Any news on a patch yet?

I tried to temporarily get around this problem by saving in a lot of different slots every 5 or 10 minutes but now none of those will load so I cant get back into my campaign.

It seems like some of the saves go corrupt or something.

There are three setting you can set which *seem* to help those that are getting stability problems.

1. Turn off EAX

2. Turn off the music

3. Turn off the shadows.

I would try them one at a time, and then altogether and see if they make a difference for you (and report back what you find!).

Thanks!

Madmatt

Originally posted by Madmatt:

There are three setting you can set which *seem* to help those that are getting stability problems.

1. Turn off EAX

2. Turn off the music

3. Turn off the shadows.

I would try them one at a time, and then altogether and see if they make a difference for you (and report back what you find!).

Thanks!

Madmatt

Thanks for the reply and help. I gave it a try and im still getting CTD and cant load any of my saves. When I try to load a save it crashes to desktop in the middle of loading the save.

I started saving alot to try to get around this but even that dont work. Every one of my save game s is corrupt.

What's the ETA on a patch?

For me game run's very smoothly, I have no performance problems, I have everything maxed to full and run's great. The only problem I have are crashes to desktop or complete lockup's.

Funny thing is that if you keep game in main menu's directly after startup the game crashes (leave it 10 minutes or so, the game probrably won't be there, no hard 3d running just GUI). I thing the guys from 1C have problem with sound multithreading, I would guess that all other threads then main are used to play music and play all the sounds in the game. Have guys made some changes to the sound system when making Tow?

br.

Dr.Jones

Originally posted by Dr.Jones:

Funny thing is that if you keep game in main menu's directly after startup the game crashes

Quick question - does the game always crash if you leave it for some time in the main menu?

You'll help with the upcoming patch a lot, if you do me a favour: in towsetup, set Use Sound to OFF. Then start tow, and leave it in the main menu for some time to see if it crashes.

This option switches the sound off completely, so we'll see is it was the sound which caused the problem.

SIO

Two more suggestions:

- try changing the windows page file size. In XP, the page file settings are there:

Start – Settings – Control Panel – System – Advanced tab – Performance Settings group – one more Advanced tab – Virtual memory. There, click “Custom size” and set both the “Initial size” and the “Maximum size” to at least 2000 MB, 3000 is MUCH better.

- unload extra programs that are running in the background - download managers, converters, etc.

SIO

An endorsement of SIOs post -

Two more suggestions:

- try changing the windows page file size. In XP, the page file settings are there:

Start – Settings – Control Panel – System – Advanced tab – Performance Settings group – one more Advanced tab – Virtual memory. There, click “Custom size” and set both the “Initial size” and the “Maximum size” to at least 2000 MB, 3000 is MUCH better.

- unload extra programs that are running in the background - download managers, converters, etc.

This worked for me on Friday

I had stripped out extra programs already but I still had Freeze/CTD problem with my minimum spec machine. During a couple of seperate TOW freezes I ran a diagnostic (just). Performance was stuck at 100% of page file allocation.

Changed the page file allocation to 2000 Mb - now only problem is slight stutter in heated moments - especially air strikes. After SIO's suggestion I am now going to move page file allocation to 3000Mb.

Spec being used

Processor: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.80GHz

Memory: 512MB RAM

Windows XP

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 6200

Manufacturer: NVIDIA

Chip type: GeForce 6200

Driver Name: nv4_disp.dll

Driver Version: 6.14.0010.9371 (English)

Driver Date/Size: 10/22/2006 13:22:00, 4527488 bytes

Hi,

Sorry, I have been absent (on vacation). I will try this, the sound thing. About page allocation, I have just enough RAM for this game, 1GB, i know that if I had 2 GB of RAM I would at least have better load times. Also for other programs, I play other games, and usualy the other programs in the background don't crash the games, they just take resources (RAM,CPU, HD access, itd) unleast this other prog. is virus.

br.

Dr.Jones