Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Screen Freezes Up

Last week I bought CM and was greatly impressed with it. It looked so good that I tried to improve it, which of course was a mistake. I was running an 8MG Nvidia card and had it upgraded to a 64, with 128 of RAM instead of the 64 which it started with. Now a game will start, (and look really good) but before the computers turn is over, usually in 20-40 seconds, the screen freezes. The curser will still move around the screen, but the mouse will not control anything and neither will the keys on the keyboard. The only way to get off that screen is to turn the power off and reboot the whole thing.

I looked on the Nvidia site listed in the front of the Battlefront front page, but there are a lot of vidio drivers listed and none of them seem to pertain to the card I have, a Nvidia Gforce 4 MX 420. If anyone has any ideas I would be grateful.

Which Windows version are you running ? What driver version did you install ? What version of DirectX do you have installed (this may be dependent on what Windows version you have or if you've installed other DirectX-based games) ?

Some users have had problems with The GeForce4's and some of the lower levels of antialiasing (2X and Quincunx). If you haven't manually changed the FSAA settings, then it may most likely be at 'Application controls...', which in CM's case (and many other games) means that FSAA is OFF.

Do you have any problems with sound ? Does the sound continue to play or loop when you get the lockup ? Does the lockup occur while playing back the movie or during the computation cycles, the two of which are the Computer Opponent/AI Thinking with the green bar indicator in the middle of the screen and then the Turn Computation with the blue bar near the bottom of the screen) ?

I am running Windows ME. The driver is the one that came with the board, which does not have any series #'s on it. it is version 8.1 of DirectX. This version was on the CD that the vidio driver was on.

I do not have any idea what the FSAA settings, but will try to find where Application Controls... are. If I can, I will turn the FSAA off.

Have not turned the sound on so I do not know what it is doing. Will try that in a few minutes.

The lockup occurs either during the computers movement phase, or immedatly (10-20 seconds) after it.

If you have any ideas other then the FSAA, I would appreciate them. Will try to find "Application Controls... now. Thanks

The FSAA setting is found by going to Start Menu > Settings > Control Panel > Display control panel > Settings tab > Advanced button > GeForce 4 MX tab > Additional Properties button > 3D Antialiasing Settings tab. The default will usually be "Allow applications to control the antialiasing mode". For CM and most games this means that FSAA will be OFF. Selecting "Manually select the antialiasing mode" will allow you to select the various FSAA modes. It is the 2X and Quincunx that seem to cause problems for CM with the GeForce 4's (other GeForces seem to be fine with these settings). Here's the thread on the board about the problems some GeForce4 MX users were having:

GeForce 4 problems in CM

The only setting I assume when it comes to sound 'not being on' is just volume; is that correct ? What sound card/chip do you have ?

Did your lockup problems only start with the upgrade to the new video card or did you have problems earlier ? Looking through the past posts on the forum I see that you had problems getting the Demo to work, but apparently you got the full version to work at one point.

You may want to do a reinstall of your video drivers and DirectX. I'd suggest following the instructions at the bottom of this thread.

The GeForce4 MX's have to have a minimum Detonator version in order to be recognized by the drivers. Your video card likely came with the 28.32 drivers, which are still the current 'official' drivers from NVidia. You can find your version by following the instructions to get to the FSAA settings. On the tab that is marked GeForce4 MX there'll be a box near the middle that lists the all the driver filenames and their versions. Typically the last four digits will be the version number that most people identify the driver by.

You'll also want to check to see what programs are running in the background. Before launching CM perform a Ctrl-Alt-Del and look at the programs listed. You'll want Explorer and Systray in there, but most other programs are optional (some may be antivirus, printer drivers or other utilities). You'll want to 'close' most of these programs and see if that helps with CM.