Campaign ?!

DOBERmann

I think the problem is that creating any sort of mission is a lot of work. Having all the scripting is good, but even if it didn't output the greatest scenarios something to create basic missions is sorely missing from this game.

I have an idea about how to implement something like this by creating a program which generates missions. Basically someone would analyse map elements and put together some basic strategies for different force mixes. For example 'attack a hill', 'attack a trench system' would be basic ones. Next each map would be marked with hills, trenches etc. These basic strategies (you'd have a few different strategies per objective) would be input into the program and the units replaced by either random ones or one from an OOB database or even a dynamic campaign generator. Once that was done it'd then be really easy to generate basic missions in a few seconds with a variety of overall plans (eg attack hill first, then attack a trench, or by rotating the coordinates use maps from different angles, etc) from then on and it doesn't require lots of complicated AI programming. These could then be played as-is or modified in the mission editor.

Conceptually it's fairly easy, but it's still a lot of work and will need input from fairly adept mission designers. The German infantry mod I've started but had to pause while I move house and have the second half of my holiday is the first step to doing this so you're looking quite some time in the future before I get anywhere near to even having a test version of it ready, but maybe someone else would like to pick up the idea - or even better the devs could do something similar in the planned add-on.

Have fun

Finn

I agree a battle generator is badly needed. Nirvana is a mix of dynamic & custom user generated scenarios.

I'm working on a semi historical British Normandy campaign based around Operation Jupiter right now, got two & a half missions done. It takes a long time to produce especially when learning on the way. I also find that testing takes an age to ensure that the balance is right so that using good tactics the player can both win & loose. IMHO the current missions are too 'single solution'.

I'm changing maps (I'll think about how that will work nearer to release.)& making missions with variable enemys to try & make things a bit more replayable (You never know if the Tigers will show up / they have arty or air support or from which direction(s) the attack will come). I will definately need Finn's mod though as I want it to look & play as authentic as possible.

Here's some playtest pics:-

f_DCLI1m_fadd3e7.jpg

f_DCLI2m_7c60baa.jpg

f_DCLI35m_d61d4f1.jpg

f_DCLI39m_84884cd.jpg

f_DCLI26m_dfa2719.jpg