OT: Other uses of the ToW engine.

StkNRdr

OK, maybe I am niave, but with the larger maps and more accurate weapons distances portayed in ToW, I can't help but think how this engine could be utilized for other non-World War II battles.

What about Napoleonic Wars, American Civil War, or even World War I just to mention a few?

Can you imagine a cavalry charge? or 12 pounders firing on an advancing line of infantry?

As they refine this game, I can imagine a whole line of ToW products for other wars.

If they added support for cavalry then I think it would widen what could be done with the engine a lot into other eras, but it'd have to be limited to small-medium skirmish sized encounters as I doubt the engine, even after refinement, could cope with thousands of soldiers. Also go farther back in time and hand-to-hand combat becomes more and more important, but there's no animations for that so that'd be another big chunk of work.

That said I think the engine would work well for conflicts close to WW2, so WW1 (mobile operations, or trench raiding), Russian Civil War, Spanish Civil War, Korea, etc I think would all be doable quite comfortably.

Have fun

Finn

It doesn't have to be an entire battle, just as ToW does not include the entire battle of any of its campaigns. With pre-WWI it wouldn't have to handle tank computations. In fact, all the weapon systems are simpler. What would need to be added are the various infantry formations (no great shakes), cavalry (trickiest of all) and bettter hand to hand (which is needed in ToW anyway).