Russian Campaign: Liberation

Ahriman

I've played through the Polish and French Campaigns and most of the Soviet Campaign without problems. However I'm completely stuck on the mission called "Liberation". I'm supposed to capture a fortified village, which is not very heavily defended. However a convoy of about 5 Tiger IIs arrive almost at the very start of the mission and I have no chance of taking them out. Even the 122mm gun won't kill them with a side or rear shot. The 85mm won't even scratch their paint.

Can someone tell me how they did it?

Frustrating amount of Save/Load. Set your tanks to hold fire, strangely enough convoy doesn't attack you first. Position your forces to get flank/rear shots but don't expose yourself to fire from the village, then fire, T-34-85 and SU at one Tiger, while 2 others T-34-85 fire at 2 Pz3-Ms. If they did not kill Pz3s and at least disable the Tiger's fire capability, reload, and reload, and reload, then save and proceed with others. This mission gets crappy till the end, insane and unrealistic (nobody would expect you to win such a fight in real life) difficulty, though you'll get some reinforcements after convoy is dead or immobilized.

All you have to do is think a little in this mission. I’ve passed it on Veteran without any save\loads. Attack tigers from flank or rear. Aim turret or tracks. At least you will disable them. The hardest part is to destroy Tigers. The last part of mission is rather easy.

However, I can understand you posts... Big part of success depends on pure luck.

That's just it - one lucky shot from the enemy can wipe out any possible chance of victory (which is usually against insane odds to start with in any case) in too many of the scenarios and I hope this is born in mind in future campaigns.

Have fun

Finn