Another Multiplayer AAR

M.R.Maiornikov

untitledtruecolor02yg5.jpg

Hi everyone. Today i finally managed to experience the multiplayer part of ToW. Here are my AAR.

It all began when i discovered this link http://chat.conduit.com/chat.aspx?ctid=CT823525 . Yes you guessed it, it's a chat box. So i entered there and found that 3 other fellow ToW'ers are planning an multiplayer game, so i said to myself, heck why not, i wanna join too. Well the connection was pretty fast to the hostinf server (3 seconds) The map was a 2vs2 (can't remember the name)

So we selected the teams so that russians (me) and germans would be against americans and british troops (stalin and hitler finally reached an agreement on alliance tongue.gif ). Well everything was set to go in few seconds and admin started the game. The loading part was a bit long (5 min aprox.) and after that the game began. I was controling the russians. So my first plan of actions was to send all my troops to a frontal attack on the enemy. (i had few tanks and 3 armoured cars). But after few moments the hell broke loose. The enemy (americans) entrenched themselves on a hill so that only tank turrets would show up. And they started pounding my exposed forces. After about 5 min all my tanks where lost and i had to retreat to the german ( my allies) positions in seek of any protections. But the german's situation was as grim as mine. Although the panther and tiger tank crews tried to do everything posibly they just couldn't stop the advance of the british forces. And the americans approched their left flank. So after 3 min it was all over, we simply got crushed.

All in all i really had a blast playing mp game. Hopefully a gamespy chat menu will be integrated in the game so the other players could find opponents to play with.

Lag: well the lag was present during the first 2 minutes of the game and eventually all dissapeared . So the game was very playanble.

Played on:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.40GHZ 4MB

ASUS P5N-E SLI NFORCE 650i

Corsair TITANIUM 4.0GB

SEAGATE 320GB SATA-300 7200RPM 16mb

BFG GF-7950GT OC 512mb

LG DVDRW-18X DL GSA-H50NK BLACK

ANTEC TX1050B full 500w Black

Viewsonic vx2035WM 20.1" wide 800:1 5ms SLV/BLK

So MP is very strong in this game, the devs have to just work on a way to let the players find others to play with.

Do you see the sexy blue icons in the back? I took over the dark side, the evil U.S. troops. Seemed the force was strong with me, because there was no single casualty. :) I didn`t want to believe it, but a M3 Grant can be a real nasty IS-2 killer. ;)

I have to admit that you began in a really imbalanced starting position. While my tanks could be hidden behind that hill yours were on the open field and easy prey for my M3. ;)

And don`t tell somebody: After Slapaho turned his Pz IV and Nashorn I thought my final hour has begun, but an M10 can do the miracle and knock out both at 1500m. Ha ha. Sweet is the taste of ... luck. ;)

I had a successful online game V my cousin...

The intention was just to see if we could get the online missions working... we both have routers, firewalls etc....

I set up a 2 player battle, clash of titans, and quickly sent my troops forward into trenches, I ran my tanks forward to just behind them in some cover from bushes.

I gave them ALL "hold position" orders.

I then went round my cousins house, he lives 10 minutes away, and watched him attack my "dug-in" troops.

I won!

LOL, I wasn't even in my house so gave no further orders after "hold position".

No problems setting up an online/internet game at all.

That sound pretty neat. It must have been nice to see it from the other perspective, and you won too...lol. I will be trying to get a MP going around 7pm CST. I am in the US. If anyone is interested. No promises, things to do.., but will try. If it looks promising, just go to the chat, and will coordinate from there.

Mike

Gnasher

It is not *broken* but it could and should be so much better.

A game lounge / channel for players to meet/chat and view games that are waiting for people to join.

No in game chat function, you should have TEAM chat at least?

No ability to surrender (simply quit!)

There are no victory point missions or ctf, nothing but ahnilate the enemy.

The biggest thing for me though atm is the load bar. When you click Start Game it begis to load. After maybe 30 or 40 seconds the load bar shows it has completed and yet nothing happens. Now in most games when it has shown fully loaded and after a few seconds your still on the same screen your natural assumption is the game has crashed and therefore you quit out. You would not expect to sit for at least another FIVE minutes (re-iterate 'at least') with the bar showing fully loaded and nothing to indicate that something is even happening. I dont know why it is like this, the waiting part I can handle (as it is worth the wait smile.gif ) but please BFC/1C = fix it so you either see the 'true' loading time (the bar better reflects the loading status) or an indication that the game is still loading, no players have dropped and/or a time out that works if the load has failed so I am not sat for 20 minutes wondering whether it has failed.

Once you are in MP it is very very good. I have a feeling 2v2 on an 8 player map will be the best, with all players being the same nation to ensure balance.

I will be playing some more MP on the weekend if anyone is interested. I will email you dragon6 smile.gif