Lack of hard cover positions

SlapHappy

Non-enterable buildings aside, it seems that many of the maps were created without regard for hard cover possibilities. Especially in regard to MG placement. It would have certainly made HMG's more effective to have the possibility to place these units in areas where they have the possibility of fulfilling their role as an area denial weapon.

A well-supplied and dug-in MG was nightmare for infantry and a tough nut to crack especially for unsupported troops. Their complete lack of mobility and low survivability make them a unit purchase to be avoided in this game as currently implemented in my opinion.

The wall graphics also leave a lot to be desired. On many of the maps, the walls are slightly taller than man-height, and since infantry can't scale them, foot units are forced into streaming "around" these obstacles into the narrow openings represented by gates and such. Along with the enterable buildings, I think it would be nice to add in the extra coding and animations to allow infantry some obstacle scaling capabilities.

Originally posted by SlapHappy:

The wall graphics also leave a lot to be desired. On many of the maps, the walls are slightly taller than man-height, and since infantry can't scale them, foot units are forced into streaming "around" these obstacles into the narrow openings represented by gates and such. Along with the enterable buildings, I think it would be nice to add in the extra coding and animations to allow infantry some obstacle scaling capabilities.

Very good point. I have had the same issue with infantry in built-up areas. It's almost as if tanks can get around built areas easier than infantry. Moreover tanks can plow right through fences and walls -- conversely infantry has to circumvent these obstacles.

Exactly. One of the reasons I think infantry is hobbled in this game is because the tanks can do just about every thing tanks can do (and then some) and the grunts can't do a lot of the things a person can do....like climb a seven foot wall. Or even more laughably jump over a four-foot wooden slat fence. Or enter a building...OK we've scratched that itch enough.

I agree, very annoying to see a squad run in through a gateway and get mown down by an SMG gunner hidden in the courtyard. You'd think man #9 would stop and think to throw a grenade over the wall seeing as #1-8 are lying there in a pile. It makes gardens a prime defensive location. This must have been noticed during game development as in a few scenarios the AI is set up in these sorts of locations and there's not much you can do about it other than drive in with a tank or demolish the walls. If enterable buildings end up making it in in the future this is something that needs some serious looking at.

Have fun

Finn

Oh, and if machine guns were better at area denial without smoke it'd make them an almost unbeatable proposition for anything less than a tank. I can't quite figure out if they do have an area effect or not, I suspect that's what some of the grouping settings are for in the ini files.

Have fun

Finn

REAL hard cover :D

this SU152 shielded i dont know how much hits. just verry few hits hit the left side of my vehicle to no effect.

funny thing again, he reported negative as i told him to shoot, but with a bit of turning the gun base to the left and than swinging the gun mount right again it could engage anyways as you can see at the smoke :D

coverhx2.jpg

cover1mq5.jpg

for infantry its harder to find such good protection.

• 2 weeks later...