Air Support

ColonelBlimp

In TOW I find that the air support is SO ineffective against tanks. After directly targeting the tanks with the air support cursor, the planes always go for nearby infantry.

I've done about nine million air support selections and I've only had one tank destroyed. In the patch I hope that this will be improved, to echo the impressive totals gained by the Sturmoviks in WWII-W. "Liss in Aircraft profile 88: Ilyushin Il-2 mentions an engagement during the Battle of Kursk on 7 July 1943, in which 70 tanks from the German 9th Panzer Division were destroyed by Ilyushin Il-2 in just 20 minutes"

Tanks are only seventh in the priorities, next human targets, according to ToW Manual:

Ground Attack Aircraft

Attack aircraft attack the specified area and select their targets in the

area in accordance with their own priorities (the approximate priorities are

listed below in a descending order):

1. Artillery (heavy, light, flak); 2. SPG; 3. Armored

Cars; 4. Vehicles; 5. Pillboxes, 6. Human targets, 7. Tanks

It would be better if we could specify the target when calling in air support, but it still isn't right that tanks are at the bottom of the list.

For example, Shturmoviks with the 37mm cannons, bombs, rockets etc. should really mince German tanks, as they did in real life sometimes.

I would love to see Il-2's drop bombs on infantry formations on their first run, circle around to fire rockets at the tanks engine compartment and then turn their guns on any targets of opportunity foolish enough to stick their heads up! I guess I'll have to wait until we have real pilots flying sorties using Il-2FB for that kind of asswhooping airpower...