Level of micromanagement? (dev. idea?)

Jippo

I don't do it a lot, some people keep on commanding individual soldiers to get the results they like.

How about adding (*.ini file or something) a set preference for a player profile for certain micromanagement attributes? I mean that each "commander" could give a certain set of preferences how their troops will conduct in the battle if not otherwise instructed. Basically it would mean that there would be some kind of interface for customizing your friendly AI.

I mean one could set options like

- "after reaching waypoint use initiative & move=yes/no"

- "if fired upon go=prone/kneel/nothing"

- "search enemy for grenades=yes/no"

- "search enemy for grenades if closer than =10/20/50m"

- "prefered ammo type against tanks=APCR/HEAT"

- "infantry, open fire from = 50/100/150/200/300m"

- "infantry open fire unless fired upon = yes/no"

- etc... etc...

And this kind of information would follow the player profile from engagement to another. Player could make adjustments in between battles, and his troops would adjust to his preferences. Thus player wouldn't need to worry about individual men in most cases, and friendly AI would be far more enjoyable. I think if it could be done it would add a whole new level into gameplay and tactics.

People who don't like to micromanage everything could give a general set of prefered actions to get most out of their troops, and people who like to play with single soldiers could do so still.

[ May 16, 2007, 02:16 AM: Message edited by: Jippo ]

Good ideas Jippo, I'd certainly like to see something of this sort implemented in a future upgrade/patch. It will make MP games alot more enjoyable if you don't have to worry about minutae so much.

I'd also like the hold position command to apply by default until expressly switched off, perhaps this could be another option?

Great ideas. I generally do not micro myself (theres usually no time in heat of battle) so this would give a lot more to the game. It means also people who like the game as it is currently will still be happy and those who don't like it can change it - a happy balance smile.gif

edit: converted to english!

I think a sensible ammotype selection is included in the game.

At least that's from my experience and some situations I've read about where the AI selects the optimal ammo for a given target it has chosen (like HEAT for very close-range battles and armor not penentratable by AP).

Shooting APCR when plain APHE is equally likely to penentrate is not the brightest of ideas when you have 4 APCR rounds.

Also I've seen my tanks switch from APHE to AP capped in some situations. What's that for? Long ranges? Sloped armor?