Smoke

PanzerMike

Have not played the game yet (not even the demo, my rig is ancient...). May get it after the patch comes out. Need a new PC for that :)

Anyway, how is smoke modeled in TOW? I don't mean the smoke of a brewed up tank, but smoke used by smoke grenades.

I recently read 'By Tank into Normandy' by Stuart Hills, you see. It's a good read. I noticed that they used smoke tactically quite a lot (for instance a Tiger pops up out of the range of the Sherman 75mm gun; they immediately put some smoke between them and the Tiger).

So, how does TOW deal with this?

There is no smoke. Personally I'd rather see this than enterable buildings or on-map mortars. It seems to me that when you fire a shell the explosion occludes vision behind it briefly so presumably it wouldn't be too hard to add? Maybe a dev or moderator could answer?

Have fun

Finn

FinnN, you're right, in terms of an accurate combat simulation, the lack of smoke ranks higher than being able to enter buildings, at least for me. Buildings are not a problem unless you would make a huge town map, but smoke has been used tactically by tanks and for artillery, so this is a realism tweak we're after as well (it was just impossible to get it into the first release because it's not trivial at all to add it without a big hit to framereates).

Martin