Do cumulative hits matter?

Nikki Mond

First in real life.

Even though ballistics for a certain round show it cannot penetrate a specific thickness of armour at X slope. Has there ever been any statistical data factoring in follow up hits or a simultaneous hits from another tank. Or even historical mention thereof?

In the game:

Are the ballistics for follow up hits calculated on tanks that survive previous hits, or is the same penetration equation applied individually for each shot.

How many 57mm AP does it take to crack a tiger turret 3, 5, 10? I've never really seen this applied in any game, and am hard pressed to find any studies or historical data. I know the US did 30mm studies against T-72s in the 70s but thats all I could find.

I know that as the war ground on German metal became of progressively poorer quality. Take the Jagdtiger for example. Its frontal armor was for all practical purposes invulnerable, but under the strain of multiple heavy shell impacts the metal would warp and the welding between the front and side armor plates would crack. I believe the same was true for the King Tiger.

Yeah German armor got progressivly worse from the beginning of 1944 to the end of the war:

Over the course of 1944, as a result of material shortages Germany was facing, the Germans changed the alloy composition of their armor. Prior to this time the usual cromium-molybdenum type steel was used. All testing showed the plates to be sufficiently cross-rolled and both fracture and Charpy tests showed good fracture and shatter characteristics. By the beginning of 1944 things changed. Molybdenum was dropped and the plates started their trend to .5% carbon, 2% Chromium, and .14% Vanadium composition. Obviously Molybdenum was running short or had disappeared, and a substitute had to be found that was generally acceptable. The substitute was the move to vanadium.
The Germans tanks also suffered from poor quality welds and quenching issues as they rushed to get more tanks off the assembly line. Many late war tanks of the German Army showed these issues, Armor breaking at the welds, even 75mm sherman HE shells blowing chunks of armor off the sides of panthers, or penetrations where the shell made tears in the armor rather then the clean holes, thus causing more spall to enter the tanks compared to clean holes.

The Combat Mission series always gave armor quality values to tanks in game. I wonder if this game does the same.

Originally posted by Nikki Mond:

In the game:

Are the ballistics for follow up hits calculated on tanks that survive previous hits, or is the same penetration equation applied individually for each shot.

How many 57mm AP does it take to crack a tiger turret 3, 5, 10? I've never really seen this applied in any game, and am hard pressed to find any studies or historical data. I know the US did 30mm studies against T-72s in the 70s but thats all I could find.

Yes there is realization for armor fatigue in game. Also yes, cumulative hits matter.