Question about this soldier's scouting value

sargemy

So i have been playings for a couple of games in the German campaign now, and have read the manual, and have read a lot of the posts here about the bugs, problems, etc etc.

I guess this is related to the LOS/spotting problem. So if my virtual soldiers have low or 0 spotting value, does that mean they are basically blind?

I have read somewhere in one of the posts, that inf. was not able to bazooka an incoming armored car from less than 200m (always saying the "no line of fire") thing) because the scouting value of the soldier is low.

This doesn't make any sense. I would think anyone can see a big car coming at u.

I would think if the car is like 1000-2000m away, then a guy with good eyes would be able to spot it better than some dude who is near sighted. But what is this scouting value???

It would make sense that guys with higher scouting values are more experience and can pick out camouflaged units. But is this game making their ability to see depend on scouting value?

I have def. come across the "No Line of Fire" even though the red icon is in full color.

Maybe the devs can add in a binocular feature in the 1st person view so we players can see what is going on far away from the tank commander's point of view.

Oh also what is frustrating is that I have not figure out a way to automatically promote, give experience points to a group of soldiers. Going through each one is pain.

just my questions and opinion lol

oh plus, i know i played a lot of CM. some ppl here are saying we shouldn't compare this to CM. We shouldn't except for the fact that if TOW's aim is to be realistic and nice looking, then when it comes to factual things, such as Sherman 75mm should not penetrate frontal Tiger armor, it should be the same in real life, CM, or here.

I still need to play this game more to find more interesting observations.

thanks for reading my blab, lol :D :cool:

sargemy, the "no line of fire" message is not the same as "no line of sight". The soldier might see the enemy unit, but you need to adjust the aim point. The default aim when you select the ATTACK order is the hull. This might be obscured by something. If you shift the aim point to the turret, you might be able to hit.

BTW, 200m is long range for a Bazooka or Panzerfaust. Your chances to hit are slim.

A scouting value of 0 does not mean that a soldier is blind. The difference is in peripheral vision as well as being able to spot targets at a distance. At 200m there is basically no difference.

Besides spotting, scouting is also used to determine the soldiers' ability to AVOID being seen by others, by the way. As such, it's the most important skill for snipers.

Martin

"Oh also what is frustrating is that I have not figure out a way to automatically promote, give experience points to a group of soldiers. Going through each one is pain."

You CAN do this on the experience screen. Click that icon down to the left on the screen "ALL" and press "AUTOMATICALLY".

"BTW, 200m is long range for a Bazooka or Panzerfaust. Your chances to hit are slim."

The chances to hit are actaully nonexistant i would say. If you hit armor with 200m range panzerfaust its a BUG

[ May 01, 2007, 03:32 AM: Message edited by: chanss ]